This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

combination corn and pea hopper question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

combination corn and pea hopper question

Postby baldwindiesel » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Okay:
I just picked up a Combination Corn and Bean Hopper for my 172 planter. Maybe a stupid question; but how does it work ?

Baldwindiesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: combination corn and pea hopper question

Postby tmays » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:07 pm

Clarification: are we talking Combination hopper or Duplex Hopper? Combination is a single hopper, duplex is a double
Thomas

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:02 am

If Duplex, one side had a plate for corn, the other side a plate for peas. I am not an old time farmer, but my understanding is that the peas added nutrients back into the soil depleted by the corn. I'm not sure the peas were necessarily harvested. I wondered if the deer, such as we have in SC, would eat the peas, and leave the corn alone. But I doubt it, they would likely prefer the corn to the peas. or eat both.
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:32 am

If duplex, then an adapter plate and a gear are required to mount it to your drive. Unless you already have the duplex drive. 172 had three different drive units. Pics of what you have would help
When I was young, we planted corn and a running pea together. But we always planted the peas after the corn got up a litte. I think I'll put my duplex to work next year and plant corn and peas together.
According to the Old Farmers Almanac, plant corn. After it gets 5" high, plant peas. Then plant pumpkins after peas get up. Peas give corn nitrogen and pumpkin provides shade to keep ground moist. Also, the pumpkin leaves on the ground get mushy. Coons don't like walking on them :-)
Thomas

baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Postby baldwindiesel » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:32 pm

It is a combination hopper, not duplex. Thanks guys !

Baldwindiesel

Return to “Farmall Cub”