This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Noobie leaks!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 01351
Tractors Owned: 63 cub

Noobie leaks!

Postby weslypype » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:42 am

Hi all,

I'd like to introduce myself as a complete newbie Cub owner. I just purchased a '63 Cub with a 42" woods mower, bottom plow, spike tooth harrows, a lift, 2-gang disc all on quick hitch. Cultivators and snow plow for front mount. I live in the western part of Massachusetts and picked this machine up down in Rhode Island a couple weeks ago. I thought that it was a good deal considering that the implements were all included and I wouldn't have to hunt them down separately.

Along with giving you the setup details, let me also mention that I have hardly any experience mechanically and have little knowledge about machinery or upkeep. :lost: That said, I'd really like this cub to be my learning opportunity. I know it's important to be able to fix things myself and be self-sufficient with upkeep, especially in this day of $75/hour labor charges etc. In light of this, could anyone give a quick list of equipment that would be necessary for making most repairs on the Cub? Obviously wrench/socket sets are a given, but what else is necessary and handy while working on these machines?

Anyway, down to the nitty gritty. I've reviewed a number of other posts in light of this problem and most of them have instructed me to do what needs to be done, but I just want to be sure I'm doing things the right way.

After mowing for two days in a row, I pulled back into the barn to find that there was oil leaking down the inside of the right rear hub. It has a very dark brown coloration to it and seemed to be dripping rather generously. After doing some hunting on this forum, I realize that this might contribute to either a. water in the transmission causing oil to seep into the final drive pans(?) or b. broken or compromised seals within the final drive system(?). Am I correct in these assumptions and information? What should be my very first course of action? I was planning to drain out the transmission, fill with diesel, run for 5 minutes, drain again, refill with 80/90W gear oil and see where I'm at. If I take this course and I'm still seeing leaks, what is my next step in the process? Also, is the actual fill spot for the transmission on the TOP - near the shifter knob? I assume a funnel would be the best way of adding diesel?

Thank you all in advance for your help. Y'all seem to be extremely helpful people :D

Brian

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Noobie leaks!

Postby Eugene » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:07 am

The transmission fill plug is located on top of the transmission as you described. The full level is a plug located on the left side of the transmission near the bottom. Caution, fill only until lubricant starts to drain out of the full level plug hole.

You will need a funnel to fill the transmission.

Tools required for routine maintenance. Basic hand tools: Wrenches, screw drivers, feeler gauge, socket set helps but not required, grease gun.

Welcome. Top of page. PDF manuals. Free down load. Operator's Manual for you tractor includes many how to service instructions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:09 am

Welcome to the forum Brian, good luck with your new cub,the right rear hub, is it leaking by the big exposed nut?, this is your final drive unit, if it is coming from the area of the large nut there is just a seal and gasket there, final drive has its own oil, transmission is separate, look in the manual section on this site, you will find service/owners manuals , it shows where to check the oil levels and has the capacities listed, I am not far away myself, just over the Mass. border in NY, there is a cub fest in the area next weekend , you could bring your cub and many will be there to help you with it
Tim

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:45 am

tst wrote:Welcome to the forum Brian, good luck with your new cub,the right rear hub, is it leaking by the big exposed nut?, this is your final drive unit, if it is coming from the area of the large nut there is just a seal and gasket there, final drive has its own oil, transmission is separate, look in the manual section on this site, you will find service/owners manuals , it shows where to check the oil levels and has the capacities listed, I am not far away myself, just over the Mass. border in NY, there is a cub fest in the area next weekend , you could bring your cub and many will be there to help you with it
Tim

Yup, bring it to Cecil's cubfest, We can look it over, and advise you. 3rd exit in NY, on I90, (exit B1) Welcome to the forum.
Ed
Last edited by ScottyD'sdad on Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:05 pm

First, welcome!

Second, definitely try to take your tractor to the Cubfest! You will learn a lot, and MIGHT get way ahead on many of your maintenance tasks with help from some knowledgeable folks.

And finally, you will see some of the most common service tasks being done, learn how to do them the correct way, and see the tools you will probably like to have.

The items I have used most in the past (aside from the wrenches, etc), are an engine hoist and a "jackstand" that you will most likely see in use. Note that any time you plan to "split" a cub, think "FRONT AXLE WEDGES"!!

Have fun with your new "toy", and ask lots of questions! Also, WE LIKE PHOTOS!!! :D
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby weslypype » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:24 pm

Wow, thanks for the hospitality!
I'd love to make it out and bring my Cub out, but unfortunately I currently have no way of getting it out there. I hired a trailer just to get it back here and wouldn't really have the ability to do so again.

I think the leak originated higher up than right at the large hub nut, as there was a good amount of oil all over the inside of the wheel. I believe some of it originated from where the brake rod enters. I couldn't tell exactly. I probably should have wiped it all away to see exactly where the drips were originating.

I will take some photos and upload for you guys as soon as possible!

If anyone has any other ideas besides to start on draining trans box, please do share. Is it possible to remove final drive pans without removing the entire wheel?

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:57 pm

If the oil is in the brake rod area it is most likely coming from where the axle shaft meets the trans case, final,axle tube all has to be pulled to replace that seal

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:13 pm

tst wrote:If the oil is in the brake rod area it is most likely coming from where the axle shaft meets the trans case, final,axle tube all has to be pulled to replace that seal

I agree with Tim. If the transmission is overfull, the leak may decrease or stop, when the level is corrected. However, your brake band may be oil soaked, making it almost useless. Come to the cubfest, without your cub. You can learn a lot, and meet some nice people.
Ed
Circle of Safety

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby weslypype » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm

That would make sense. My brakes ARE in fact entirely useless. What day(s) for cubfest?

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:37 pm

Saturday, August 23rd. Send me a PM, for directions.
Ed
Circle of Safety

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:16 pm

Welcome, I see your postal code says your in Montague. That just off 91 by Greenfield right? I'm from the Springfield area
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby weslypype » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Mike,
Yes I'm right in Montague, ~10 min off of 91 North if coming from Springfield. You should come visit and check out the new machine if you get a chance! Will you be going to Cubfest as well?

weslypype
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby weslypype » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Hey all, just another follow up question. I'd like to start getting work done on the tractor pretty soon as I do need to start plowing in order to get a cover crop in before fall rolls in.

Would it be a bad idea to continue running this machine with the rear leaks? I certainly wouldn't want to run it dry but I also don't want to start pulling it apart only to get stuck along the way and have it apart for weeks or a month trying to figure it all out. Could anyone advise ?

Also, in terms of repairs, what are some reputable parts resources you guys use?

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:10 am

For parts, you can't do better than to contact one of the site sponsors at the bottom of the page (TM, JP, & HamiltonBob). Not only do they provide super service, they help keep this site going.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Return to “Farmall Cub”