Re: Losing belt on mott flail mower on bumps

Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:21 pm

I know it is a long ways from PA. but if you make it to Cubarama the end of this month (Fredericktown, Mo.) we will be doing a seminar on installing and maintaining the Mott flail mowers.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:56 pm

Results:

I have yet to find a standard idler pulley assembly, and suspect that this will be needed to completely remedy the situation. However, I took out the washers and used the bolts alone, and they sunk in deeper into the assembly and for now is keeping these from getting too loose to slip the belt easily. I have been a little reluctant to try it on the spots that seem to always toss the belt, but I think I can live with it this way for now.

On a second note, and to explain my reluctance to really test out the fix on rougher ground, I have replaced all the blades. I at first thought that the blades were old style and the new blades I saw on the internet from flailmaster were a slightly different design due to the changing times. However, the cut of the new blades is so good that I would easily say it gives a very manicured cut now. I therefore really think that the old blades were rough cut blades for brush. This is fine, as I have quite a bit of rough ground with brush that I was using this deck to clear, but now I prefer to use the new blades for the grassy areas. I have a gravely that I will now use on the rough areas, if I can get that to consistently run... So for those out there that have asked the question about how good the flail deck mows... The blades do really make a difference.

Still looking for the idler pulley assembly... but also maybe a second flail mower deck complete, so that I can have one for rough cut, and one for manicured lawns.

Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:24 pm

id_0 wrote:... maybe a second flail mower deck complete, so that I can have one for rough cut, and one for manicured lawns.

And maybe another Cub to put the second mower on. :D

Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:34 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
id_0 wrote:... maybe a second flail mower deck complete, so that I can have one for rough cut, and one for manicured lawns.

And maybe another Cub to put the second mower on. :D
My current project is fixing up a second Mott to have one for finish and one for rough cutting. I have modified mine so it only takes 2 pins to remove and drive away.

Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:38 am

It still seems that your idler pulleys are on backwards. The bottom of the one on the right should be "aiming" toward the mowers drive pulley. I don't think you need another one. The tensioner should clamp the brackets together making it all pretty rigid to maintain tension.