This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

batter's run down qoickly

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

batter's run down qoickly

Postby HART » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:14 pm

52' CUB has had 3 new 6V batteries last 2 years. I've had lot of mechanical work done in last year but batteries have'nt really cranked over strong and fast for a long time, usually just hesitates and grunts. When it starts then it runs great. Battery posts are clean. Any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: batter's run down qoickly

Postby ricky racer » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:10 pm

I guess the first thing I'd do is disconnect the ground cable, opposite the battery, clean the connection good and reattach. Then I'd do the same thing with the other cable. Maybe unbolt the starter and reattach it to make sure all grounds and connections are good. You may want to pull the battery and take it to someplace like Autozone and have them test the battery. If the battery tests good and all of your connections are good then you probably need to look at the starter next.
One other thing is the condition of your cables in general. A 6 volt system requires cables in good condition. I run welding cable for my battery cables.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:20 pm

My guess is that the cutout or regulator's cutout is sticking shut.

Disconnect the battery wire from the cutout or regulator. All switches off. Multimeter set on highest amp reading. Disconnect one cable from battery. Connect one amp meter lead to battery cable end and the other to battery terminal. Zero amp draw/reading indicates bad cutout or regulator.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 pm

If you have a cutout (light switch has LO, HI, D, B,) and run it for long periods mowing, etc. with the light switch on H you may be overcharging the batteries and boiling the water out due to overcharging.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Poncho
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55906

Postby Poncho » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:57 am

You may have checked but is generator wires clean and is it working?
1950 Demonstrator Cub
Woods 59 Mower
Cub 54A Blade
Cub 22 Sickle Mower
Model 100 McCormick spreader

Return to “Farmall Cub”