This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch adjustment issue

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

clutch adjustment issue

Postby Eoghan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:55 am

Hey guys, I haven't posted in a while as the growing season has kept me busy! anyways, I'm getting ready to give the cub a big workout prepping the fields for fall planting, so I want to get this clutch issue sorted. I split the tractor earlier this year and replaced the throwout bearing/yokes, and It worked great for a while, but it's been rattling when i release the clutch lately, so I peeked in the hand hole. seems like the bearing isn't lifting off the fingers entirely.. There's an inch of free motion in the pedal, but it doesn't seem to pull the bearing back with it. It just seems to hang there and it swings back and forth. is there something I forgot when I buttoned it back up? The clutch seems to work fine other than that, and the bearing surface still looks like new. the only other concern I have is when I press the pedal lightly it feels kinda bumpy.. I adjusted the fingers carefully when it was split, and it doesn't look like they've moved. I'm thinking the bearing isn't hitting the fingers perfectly straight on. should I be worried about that? seems to me that's why they used the graphite bearing there instead of a ball bearing, since it's not designed to be a perfect contact.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: clutch adjustment issue

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:09 pm

2 things to check

get a light and look through the hand hole and check that all the fingers are still adjusted even. easiest if you have someone to turn the crank while you watch.

The throwout bearing should not pivot freely, but should have a little drag to keep it vertical when not in use and prevent it from pivoting to hit the clutch fingers. That can be accomplished by bending the yoke so it is squeezing in a little at the center where the throwout pivots. Originally the ears of the throwout bearings and tightness of the holes in the yoke took care of that, but it seems the new ones are not as tight a fit as they should be, so my suggestion i a work a round. A wave washer on one or both sides of the Throwout may also help. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-washers/=tc4mrl
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:04 pm

Spring on the pedal??
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eoghan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:21 am

thanks guys, I'm gonna look again at it when I get a few spare minutes. The spring is good, and I don't think it's the bearing loose in the yokes that's the problem, I'm pretty sure it's the yokes swinging on the hanger. It's like the pedal works fine to push it forward but doesn't pull it back.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:53 am

Where the pedal shaft goes into the torque tube has a grease fitting on later ones. Penetrating oil, etc and make sure pedal moves freely.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”