Stumbled Across this Odd Ball Today

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Driving down a road, I hadn't been on before I stumbled across this not too common Loboy. Luckily :wink: , I had the trailer behind me empty. It runs out alright, clutch and brakes work great. Steering is tight. It even has a tach, not working though. The foot throttle works great and so does the mower. The ROPS is a bit excessive and shakes the whole rear of the tractor when you run over an ant. It is mounted through with the fenders. The shade is nice, but I just don't trust it. I want to remove it, but the rear drawbar, which includes a step for EAZE :lol: :lol: of mounting is fabricated into it. The part that is neat or at least interesting is it has the knife rack included. I have never seen one of these on a Cub with the 105 mower. It is mainly made up of wood, so I thought it was homemade, but looking in the parts book and operators manual it looks the same? My only problem is now I have two of them, so I find I need to sell one, mainly my better half is instructing me it would be beneficial to my health. So keep your eyes peeled in the VINE, I might sell some cubs.

Re: Stumbled Across this Odd Ball Today

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:12 pm

Nice find!

Bob

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Sweet Find!!! :big afro:

Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:13 pm

Andy:

Neat snag :-)

Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:17 am

Real useful looking cub you got there with double wheels on the back to distribute the extra weight. Great find!! you will get get plenty of takers for that one :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:49 am

Looking at your pictures, it appears that you have the rare "wobble box" or balanced head mower. I forget the model number. It allows mowing at different angles. This was used primarily by highway crews. This would explain the extra blade holder.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:57 am

That's a neat tractor. For the time being, you could at least lop off the ROPS just above the drawbar knee brace if you wanted.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:03 am

Neat cub, Andy! What is that galvanized "bucket" on the tractor's right side? Just another PO addon???

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:13 am

Hengy wrote:What is that galvanized "bucket" on the tractor's right side?
Water jug, lunch box, TP.

Color appears to be orange. So guessing, a government agency mower at one time.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:16 am

I'll bet the bucket is a water jug holder.

Does the tractor have any speed reducers? Doesn't look like it and I figured you would have mentioned butttttttttt?
Looks like the heavy tie rods and the bigger front wheels anyway.

All around good find, lucky the trailer was empty :{_}: :D :lol:

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Check out the picture on page 45 of Updike's "Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet" book and you will see a half dozen of these with the knife holder (no buckets or roof on them yet though). Sure looks like this could be one of the Cubs pictured. Very cool.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 pm

The bucket actually came with a cream can lid on it, but I removed it when I trailered it. It had broken ledger plates, a guard or two and some other junk, so I figured it was a tool box. The other tube is for the grease gun. No speed reducers on this one, but I have another that has 2. It actually looks like it might be a planter or fertilizer box, but didn't dig deep enough yet. Definitely was state or highway mower. There are two small holes and the shadow of a tag on the hood's left side. Yes it is the 105 mower. I always wanted one and spent 15 years looking, not real hard; and the funny thing is I find 2 in less than a year. I may part with one, we'll see.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:35 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:Looking at your pictures, it appears that you have the rare "wobble box" or balanced head mower. I forget the model number. It allows mowing at different angles. This was used primarily by highway crews. This would explain the extra blade holder.

Ron:

That would be the 105 Balanced Head Mower -

pic courtesy TM Tractor