Ih 50 snowthrower rpm

Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi all !
New to this forum but have been reading posts for a bit. I have a IH 50 snowthrower that I am trying to
convert to run off my skidsteer via a hydraulic pump. My question to any/all:
What rpm level was this snowthrower designed to run at? I do not have an operators manual for it
I was told from an IH dealer that the pto off the cub 154 lo boy it was on ran at 1080rpms. But it has
a pulley system with I believe two different size pulleys. I have also read on hear that someone said
the rpms of the 154 pushed 2000. At this time I am confused.... :shock:
Thanks to all for any help
RJ

Re: Ih 50 snowthrower rpm

Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:25 pm

I don't know the set up but the pto on cubs are reverse drive and is usually pulley drives equipment.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 pm

I don't exactly have an Owner's Manual .. but I do have the parts catalog for the IH 50 Snow Thrower. Remember that the IH 50 is a single stage and not a dual stage unit so it actually throws snow and not blow snow as there is no impeller in the chute. The auger has to turn at a sufficient speed to actually push the snow up through the chute and out to the side. When properly powered the IH 50 can chuck a lot of snow ....

Hope this helps a bit.... There is some data hanging around .. google IH 50 Snow Thrower and you may find some info out there.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:32 am

I have had an IH 50 for my 184.
This is somewhat a trick question, so I'll try to be extra clear.

The 184 PTO turns at 2050 RPM's. There is a driveshaft that runs under the tractor (1:1) also turning at 2050. From there, the driveshaft connects to a 90 degree gearbox. This gears it down slightly. The gearbox connects to the chain that drives the thrower drum. The chain drive gear on the drum significantly gears down the RPM's.

Here's my recommendation. The IH 50 really needed every RPM you could give it. Even at full throttle, this snowthrower would only throw the snow a foot or two to the side of the blower. Drive the PTO connection (or the 90 degree gearbox) at 2000-2500 RPM's and let the chain gear ratio do the rest.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks a bunch for your responses. I could see that under the 154 PTO that it connected to a shaft via belt/pulley combination. And I have the shaft and U joint connection to the IH 50. Just wasn't sure how many rpm pump I was going to need.
The gear box/chain drive appeared to me to reduce the rpm, but I didn't want to 'overpower' and cause extra strain or pre-mature wear and tear.
I curious about it only throwing the snow a little to the side. My father told me it worked great on the 154 and would throw it 'plenty' away from the driveway. I guess I'll see when this project is finished.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:51 am

Don't know about a IH 50 but I have operated several walkbehind snow blowers/throwers and it depends on the type of snow. Wet/heavy/slushy isn't going far. Dry/light/powdery is gonna fly!

Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:39 am

If moving 3-4" of wet snow, it could get the snow 8 - 10' from the tractor. Less snow (1-2") would not have enough weight to it to get far. Most of the time it just barely puked it over the side of the blower. The next pass would then have the already blown snow plus the fallen snow so it would work a bit better.
Again, keep the RPM's up and the speed down. The blower does chew through 2-3' snow drifts well. 4' and greater take a couple of passes at very low speeds.

Don't worry about overpowering the blower. There are shear pins in the driveline (spring wrapped pins, not role pins) by the small sprocket of the chain drive. (See page 6 item #7 in the link above) They will shear if you engage the blower at too high an RPM and "shock" the system. Engage at a low RPM and then accelerate the tractor to a high RPM.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:27 am

Personally, I admire your thought of trying to convert this to work on a skid steer, however, I think you would be much better off trying to sell the IH50 and purchase a snow blower built for a skid steer. Those IH50 snow blowers are hard to find, and there are LOTS of people looking for them to run on a 154/185/184 tractor. Also, that snow blower is really too lightly built to be hooked to a skid steer. The very first time you hook a curb or a piece of uneven pavement, you'll rip the thing apart because of all the weight behind it with a skid steer weighing in around 6000 pounds. Cubs are only about 1000 pounds, and they can do a number on the sheet metal on an IH50.

A true snow blower designed and built for a skid steer is MUCH heavier!!!! They are typically built out of 1/4" or 3/16" plate steel, and heavily reinforced, just to take the abuse that the heavy machine can put on it. Trust me, in the long run you will be MUCH better off with one that was designed and built for a skid steer!

Bill