Stumped on Hydraulics

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:08 pm

Ok new problem now: The hydraulic pump is making the sound like it has no fluid and wont harldy lift the hydraulics. But when I go to put fluid in the fill port, it wont take any. It appears as if the fluid is full. The touch control unit also gets hot after running for a while. Any ideas?

Re: Stumped on Hydraulics

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:22 pm

Are you cycling the hydraulics to bleed the air?

Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm

yup, what Don said.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:42 am

You need to cycle the hydraulics with the fill plug out to allow air to enter. Otherwise it will "vapor lock" on you and won't prime the pump.

It may also require a little bit of encouragement using the air compressor to pressurize the reservoir slightly to push oil into the pump.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:51 pm

I have cycled with the fill plug out. That last tip, Ill have to try. I filled the pump and the lines before I put them back on after rebuilding the pump. They were working great but i thought it was leaking into the crankcase again. But i coundt explain why the fluid level was topped off but not going through the pump. I will try to force fluid through the system with air.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:48 am

Loosen the tube connection, at the pump, til it drips fluid. then retighten. That has worked for me.
Ed

Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:49 am

Another option is to remove the top allen plug where the pump manifold bolts to the touch control block. The plug will be very tight. Remove the plug, not just loosen, because if it builds pressure that plug may come out like a bullet. That will allow oil to move through the pump and lines with no pressure and purge any air that may be in the pump.