Pressure plate replace question

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:56 pm

So we adjusted the clutch fingers and the clutch still doesn't fully dis-engage. I called a neighbor friend who is a wiz on old tractors. After a little more adjusting on the pedal, still not fully dis-engaging. e gave Rosie a full exam and yep pressure plate is going. Time to replace.

He has all the tools and equip to split her. So I'm parts shopping.

While we have here split is there anything else we should do,check?

Is the starter ring on the flywheel replaceable or do I need a new flywheel??

Parts list: Pressure plate, throwout "bearing" Anything else?

Thanks in advance

Re: Pressure plate replace question

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Check entire clutch/TO bearing linkage for wear, including the clutch release yoke pivot pin.
Soak the new TO bearing in engine oil for at least a week before installation. Grease TO bearing after installation, but before reassembling the two tractor halves. Grease zerk down.
Replace pilot bushing.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:20 pm

And purchase a rebuilt USA made pressure plate and a quality throwout bearing. Spend a bit more money on quality instead of junk.

From my lessons learned file.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Ring gear is replaceable, but rarely needs to be. Also make sure you buy a Case/IH TOB. The aftermarkets ones don't seem to be very durable.

Bob

Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:31 am

Just a thought... Are you SURE that the pressure plate is worn? Have you lubricated the pilot bushing in the end of the crank? If those run dry, they will cause drag on the drive line and will cause the shaft to keep turning... Just a thought.