This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Different kind of starting trouble.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Different kind of starting trouble.

Postby clintmo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:12 am

Tonight, I was finally mounting the sickle mower I bought from Big Hoss at the Bash. Got it all hooked up and was ready to start the tractor and lift it up... and the tractor wouldn't start. This time, instead of the battery drain issue that I had been having, it turned over strong and plenty but just wouldn't start. Gas was dumping of of the carb, and it wouldn't start with the hand crank either, which it had been doing reliably. This is the problem I was having when I brought it to the tug. Cecil got it started by pulling, and then the battery/charging situation became the focus. So now I guess if it won't start tomorrow I'll try pull starting again. Anyone have any thoughts on any of this? It started beautifully earlier today.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Different kind of starting trouble.

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:09 am

Ignition problem. Have you check for spark at the plugs?

When was the last complete engine tune up?
I have an excuse. CRS.

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 am

There is good spark. Been a while since the last complete engine tune-up, but I've been working my way down the list.

The tractor started this morning. Now I'm thinking I may have just flooded it. It always requires some choke to start and it's not hard to overdo it. We'll see if it happens again. This tractor hasn't been run in a while and I'm working through all the issues.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 am

Try starting her without choke, then choke her if she doesn't catch within the first turn or two. I used to have problems getting Eddie started until I learned that trick from someone else here.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:18 pm

For years now we have gotten used to having to prime and choke all of our lawn mowers, chainsaws, weedeaters, etc. and they still are hard to start. When dealing with a cub, we need to break the choking habit. Especially in hot weather, just pull the starter rod, (shake hands with the gear shift first :) :) :) ) and when it hits maybe blip the choke and let it off quickly. This works for me on all three of my cubs.

Clint quit messing around and get that mower cutting. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:22 pm

"gas pouring out of the carb" = FLOODED

You have to develop a feel for your own particular tractor. Some like no choke at all. Some like a little after cranking. Some you can just set and forget until it warms up.

It's easier to start with no choke, then give it a blip, then another longer blip if it doesn't fire, and possibly a third even longer blip. After 10 seconds, if it doesn't start you've got a problem.

For my Super A last week it was because the fuel tank was BONE DRY.

clintmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:25 pm

Yes, I'm pretty convinced now that I just flooded it last night. This tractor always requires at least a little choke, even when it's been running. I just overdid it when it didn't take off right away, I guess. It concerned me, though, because it looked a lot like the issue it was having when it wouldn't start for the better part of last fall/winter/spring until Cecil pull started it. Still don't know what the problem had been there.

I can't tell you how much it's been bugging me not having that mower hooked up and going! It's been a very busy summer. The fields are thick with burr bushes. One run after a deer and my black border collie will be a green one! :shock: I could use the belly mower on the other cub but I've been saving the job for the Cub-22. I've got it on but I ran into a problem. The threads in the bar socket are shot, so I guess I'll be re-tapping it. Never done that before.

Return to “Farmall Cub”