This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

painting drives me nuts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: painting drives me nuts

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:15 am

Scrivet wrote:
pickerandsinger wrote:......…..Its the 3rd one Ive painted @ 5.49 a can….........
On average how many cans does it take? Or do you buy a couple, use them up and then buy a couple more until the job is done, not really wanting to know how many you used at $5.49 a can :lol: By the way does that $5.49 include tax? :D
…Hey you know how the painting posts go... :mrgreen: But here goes…I do exactly as you say and buy a few and spray away…In this case I rebuilt the engine and put in a new clutch, so I just painted piece by piece ( front, engine, and rear as they were split)…And the pieces as they came out of the electrolysis tank..Breaks up the project and saves cleaning the gun every time I paint….I use Majic from TSC as it is close by (20 miles) and uses 100% Soybean oils, from American Farmers….I would guess I have about 10-12 cans of IH Red and 3 Cans of Rustoleum Silver….+Tax….which is unfortunately probably the price of a rattle can of paint :evil: ….I really respect guys who are pro painters and I have seen some beautiful paint jobs on Cubs, :worthy: but I am far from a pro and this works for me….Which I guess is what working on and restoring cubs is all about :{_}: …I do have a paint gun but to use it in short sessions like I paint, probably not practicable..( Is that the right word)….I'll be painting and installing a fast hitch next…Oh Joy…. :lol:Didn't mean to hi-jack, just answering a question.. :D
In Memory of 58,286

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:08 am

There is plenty of info on the internet to help with HVLP painting. Saw one YouTube video that stuck in my mind. The guy said a hand fan at a hand span (or something like that). He took his spread out hand and with it next to the test paper indicated the width of the proposed test shot, then rotated his hand from the paper to the end of the nozzle; little finger touching the paper while thumb was touching the nozzle. In other words, your test spray should be a spread out hand span wide at the distance of a hand span away. Good tip.

I make sure to always thin IronGuard 2150 to 8:1 paint to reducer/thinner. Always use Case IH reducer/thinner. Adjust my test pattern on a piece of paper so it an even shot at proper distance. And always keep the sprayer moving. Make sure humidity is down (less than 50%). Rarely have problems.

If I remember right, the adjustment screw at the bottom of the handle deals with the amount of air flowing through the gun. The knob on the back controls the amount of opening at the pin when the trigger is pulled back and the knob on the side deals with the concentration of paint; the evenness of paint in the shot. Open the bottom thumb screw so there's plenty of air flow, then open the knob on the back 1-1/2 turns. Turn the side knob about 1/2-1/3 CCW from full stop and shoot a test shot. Primarily adjust the side knob (paint) and rear thumb screw (air). I set my air flow at 50-55 PSI and use an in-line water trap at the gun.

Don't give up and keep at it; you'll get it. Hope this helps.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:12 pm

Wow if it takes "several" cans to do a Cub hood, you're doing something wrong... No offense. That'd be enough to put a 1/4" thick later of paint on.

I painted my 1967's hood with Rustoleum white from bare metal. Total paint usage was one can of primer and one can of color.

Dad painted his Cub top to bottom with 5 cans of Rustoleum IH red, and it looks darn good if you ask me.

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Stanton wrote:I make sure to always thin IronGuard 2150 to 8:1 paint to reducer/thinner. Always use Case IH reducer/thinner. Adjust my test pattern on a piece of paper so it an even shot at proper distance. And always keep the sprayer moving. Make sure humidity is down (less than 50%). Rarely have problems.

I have sprayed enough IH paint. If it is not thinned right, it looks like ????? I have a small scale I use and weigh everything out to the nearest ounce. I sometimes add a little bit more thinner than an 8:1, 8 oz of paint to 1 oz of thinner but sometime 1.5 oz helps me better. I do use hardener in everything also. Weather is my biggest factor also. High humidity can cause havoc at times. Just my .02 worth.

Regardless of paint inside or out always have a mask with hardener.

I know it can be frustrating trying to get that perfect end result. Don't get too discouraged.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:15 pm

One other way to paint is a quart of IH IronGard and a GOOD foam brush, or a quality bristle brush. Comes out surprisingly good, but not ideal for little nooks and crannies.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:59 pm

I am long way from being a painter. I'm more of a blacksmith, :lol: however I have had pretty good luck shooting Iron Guard with my cheap paint gun. You said you are using a HVLP paint gun. The LP stands for low pressure. Check the manual that came with the gun and see what pressure they recommend. A pressure of 50 psi seems way too high. I'd guess it should be about half of that or less. I could be wrong but you can Google recommended pressures to confirm. I always use a moisture trap about 15'-20' downstream of the compressor to remove moisture before it gets to the part I'm painting.

Secondly, I always use a hardener when shooting paint for a couple of reasons. Primarily I use it so I can recoat when I get a chance instead of when the paint has set long enough (going by the recoat time listed on can) to recoat. With the hardener I can recoat when ever I want and I don't have to worry about the paint lifting. Secondly it helps the paint set quicker which I think helps eliminate sagging and runs. Thirdly the paint will be dry to the touch quicker and it will be more chemical (gasoline & oil) resistant. Just wear the correct mask and paint in a well ventilated area.

Wet sanding between coats really helps too.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Radec Aksarben
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 68736
Tractors Owned: '48 Farmall Cub w/ IH-Danco C2 belly mower, full cultivator
'52 Farmall Cub w/ 193 plow, 28-A disk, flail mower, buzz saw, leveling blade,
misc cultivator parts and attachments
1450 Cub Cadet with mower deck (sold)
'49 Farmall M w/ factory disk brakes (not super style)
'51 International I-9 - rusty yellow (sold but in family)

Postby Radec Aksarben » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:58 am

You may want to install a water trap along with draining the water from the tank, especially if you don't have a climate controlled building.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:13 pm

Jason (IL) wrote:Regardless of paint inside or out always have a mask with hardener.

I knew that some comment like this would show up eventually in this thread. I also know full well that this post is likely a total waste of my time as most of you will completely ignore it. I hope at least one person pays attention and thus takes the proper precautions.

I am tempted to say that using a mask as protection from hardener is a good way to die, except it is actually a fairly bad way to die. Rather than adding any more of my alarmist ramblings, I will let two survivors put it in their own words.

First, the effects of many years of repeated low exposures.

Here is one post with a warning:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77584&#p621826

And three more posts that show why it is a good idea to pay attention to his warning:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82341

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82341&start=30#p662576

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=85384

If the story on low level exposure isn't enough to get your attention, here is an example of a single higher level exposure. Be sure to read all the posts in the thread that were made by JGtools:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39149

StraightPipeC60
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCub
C-54 Leveling & Grading Blade

Postby StraightPipeC60 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:06 pm

Jim,

Your post is a real eye opener. No paint job is worth anyone's health & well being.

Thanks for passing this on.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:07 am

I agree Low humidity is ideal for spraying paint, and the paint and reducer ratio needs to be correct, and the use of Hardener will add to the looks and longevity of the finish. However, I respectfully disagree with measuring the liquids by weight. I believe the correct unit of measure in this case would be of volume instead of weight.

[/quote]

I have sprayed enough IH paint. If it is not thinned right, it looks like ????? I have a small scale I use and weigh everything out to the nearest ounce. I sometimes add a little bit more thinner than an 8:1, 8 oz of paint to 1 oz of thinner but sometime 1.5 oz helps me better. I do use hardener in everything also. Weather is my biggest factor also. High humidity can cause havoc at times. Just my .02 worth.

Regardless of paint inside or out always have a mask with hardener.

I know it can be frustrating trying to get that perfect end result. Don't get too discouraged.[/quote]
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:30 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Jason (IL) wrote:Regardless of paint inside or out always have a mask with hardener.

I knew that some comment like this would show up eventually in this thread. I also know full well that this post is likely a total waste of my time as most of you will completely ignore it. I hope at least one person pays attention and thus takes the proper precautions.

I am tempted to say that using a mask as protection from hardener is a good way to die, except it is actually a fairly bad way to die. Rather than adding any more of my alarmist ramblings, I will let two survivors put it in their own words.

First, the effects of many years of repeated low exposures.

Here is one post with a warning:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77584&#p621826

And three more posts that show why it is a good idea to pay attention to his warning:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82341

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=82341&start=30#p662576

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=85384

If the story on low level exposure isn't enough to get your attention, here is an example of a single higher level exposure. Be sure to read all the posts in the thread that were made by JGtools:

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39149

Jim, thank you for posting this. One of my goals is to learn how to prep and paint a tractor to my satisfaction, but the reason I haven't started spraying paint all over everything is I want to wait until I have the proper safety gear first. My health and my time are the two most valuable things I own.

I have a good tractor friend that paints in the open air, and I have heard him say many times that he never touches a thing until he is suited up.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:42 am

I took my 2150 and Majic hardener to the body shop and let them do it.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:34 pm

One thing that has worked for me is to 'farm out' the big stuff while I work on the rest of the tractor. Hoods, wheel centers, lights and fenders are perfect examples, they are in way and a 'pro' can do a great job on the stuff that shows the most.

Only some of this tractor was painted, but it's a little harder to hide the parts of a red Cub that haven't been painted:
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)