This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

had someone try to buy my cub yesterday, lol

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

had someone try to buy my cub yesterday, lol

Postby ad356 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:00 am

I had my cub parked out front yesterday, no FOR SALE sign on it; it was just casually parked out on the front lawn. I had someone stop and ask me if I was selling it, I told him it was not for sale. I did show him the tractor and I explained how things worked, I told him what a wonderful little machine they are to have around the yard and how they do a great job mowing, removing snow, and gardening. I also explained how easy it is to get replacement parts and what a practice little tractor it is to own, since you can easily get parts. however, at the end of the day unless he was willing to offer me an absurd amount of money I would not sell. if I got an absurd amount of money for it, I would go out and buy another cub, farmall A, or super-a anyways.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: had someone try to buy my cub yesterday, lol

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:54 am

If you ever decide to replace it, remember, an A does not have hydraulics, have to have a Super A for that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:01 am

I probably won replace it anyways, its just if I did the only thing I would replace it with is another of the small IH farmall tractors. I had a discussion once with a good friend of mine, he has a 766 and he has been looking at cubs, A's, and super A's for possibly a mowing rig. we were trying to find out if you could install hydraulics on a regular A, not a super? cubs came both ways, is it possible to turn an A into a super-a type of machine with the hydraulics or is there enough of a difference between the machines where it is not possible to do this conversion. I went to an antique tractor show yesterday, and there was a really nice super-a there. they sure are a nice rig, and a nice looking tractor as well. every bit as much as a classic as our cubs.

also does a A/super-a drink significantly more gasoline than a cub? the C123 is twice the displacement of the C60 so does that follow that they use twice as much gas? one of the things that I really appreciate with the cub is how fuel efficient they are. the burn less gas then a modern lawn tractor and a three times as heavy and run a much larger deck. they are gems when it comes to fuel economy. at almost $4 per gallon, it is a consideration. gas isn't cheap anymore

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:34 am

Put hydraulics on an A. Short Answer: No. Long Answer: Anything is possible with a lot of time and money haha.

The torque tube on an A doesn't have the flat spot to mount the TC unit. It also doesn't have the correct stuff up front to add the hydraulic pump. My Super A doesn't sip much fuel. Its still a low-rpm 4 banger.

I like the size and power of the Super A. I also enjoy the ease of working on them. The Super A is OHV and the hood isn't once piece with the grill like the Cub.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am

You can put "hydraulics" on an A but they will be your own custom fabrication, and not at all comparable or compatible with a Super A's touch control system.

Basically you cobble an old power steering pump from a pickup truck on to the A's engine block, and belt drive it off the engine.

Even after you do that, you still can't use Super A or Cub implements on an A without heavy modification. Ultimately it really isn't worth the effort.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:35 pm

The Twp. used to have an AI with a sickle bar for mowing roadsides. It had either a Sundstrand or Webster pump (looked like an oil burner pump) that ran off the front of the crankshaft, providing live hydraulics for the mower lift. I spent many hours on the seat and replacing sickle sections and rock guards, wish I'd looked closer at the rest of the tractor. John

Return to “Farmall Cub”