This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can't change the oil.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
fredthecoonkiller1
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 24910

Can't change the oil.

Postby fredthecoonkiller1 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:07 pm

I tried to drain the oil out of my 1948 cub yesterday and the bolt is so tight I broke 2 wrenches trying to get it off and it will not budge, what can I do?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Can't change the oil.

Postby Hengy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Does your cub have the original square-headed pipe caps? I'm surprised that it is seized that tightly in there. The only thing I can suggest is to get a bigger (longer handle) wrench to get good leverage. Once it starts to go, it will get loose quickly...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:33 pm

Are you sure someone has not welded it in. I have seen that done on cars and trucks just before they were sold or traded. If it is the square plug I can think of 2 possibilities, the best one would be welding a nut over the plug and using an impact wrench on it. another possibility is using a pipe wrench on the head, but chances of it shearing off the end and requiring drilling are fairly good. If it is the hex head, I believe that is 1 1/8 inch and would try an impact.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:56 am

pull the oil pan.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:24 pm

First, you sure you're turning it the correct way? Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Take a hammer and rap on the opposite end of the wrench. The impact may jar it loose.

If that doesn't work all you can do is pull the oil pan. Get it cleaned up and you might be able to see what's going on. A different pan with a plug that can be removed can be purchased fairly reasonably from one of the site sponsors, and you might luck out and find a member with one for not much money.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:06 pm

If you do not want to pull the pan at present, you can buy an oil change or oil extractor pump, whichever you prefer to call it, anywhere from $20 to over $100 dollars. Just do a search for oil extractor or oil change pump. You will find Walmart, Autozone, Napa, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

StraightPipeC60
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCub
C-54 Leveling & Grading Blade

Postby StraightPipeC60 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:07 pm

The oil change pumps are commonly used for some boats. So if you go this route, some who sells marine products definitely has it. Some of the pumps you can run with your drill. This would really be a good workaround since it is relatively cheap & easy.

taxicub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 66429
Tractors Owned: 49 cub
4310 JD

Postby taxicub » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:07 pm

If it is the square headed plug then get a plug socket and put it on the plug without a ratchet and whack it a couple of times with a hammer - then put the ratchet in and try to turn it. A trick we would use on locomotives when they were really stuck sometimes.

Return to “Farmall Cub”