This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Flat belt pulley dressing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Flat belt pulley dressing

Postby Kirk-NJ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:08 am

What are you guys using for dressing on flat belt. Both pulleys are steel and flat belt is short. When mill grinding corn for meal the belt will slip a little.

Kirk

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Re: Flat belt pulley dressing

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:48 am

Hi Kirk,
"Cracking corn" with my '57 Cub, is my "forte", giving the small bags of bird feed away to the people, at the show ( left side of the picture) ! With the cracker mounted to a fast hitch platform ( that I made ) the alignment and tension , never gives any problems, besides it ends up with a small belt , less chance for accidents ! I started with a 2" face flat belt , then changed to a "B" v-belt , in later years , never had any slippage, just SAFETY issues , that always concerned me, the small children close by, even with "caution tapes" or ropes, a very few still get too close ! ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:52 am

Where I used to work, we used a spray product called Belt Dressing. I THINK it was made by Permetex. With the equipment running, we just sprayed the belt through the belt guard and it worked. It was kind of sticky. Of course these were v belts, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a flat belt.

Billy

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:01 am

Most farm supply places and auto parts stores in this area have the spray belt dressing, which works good. wish you were closer, I have 2 or 3 cans laying around I have no use for. Here is a link to it on NAPA.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... d3%26N%3d0

If you are using an old style canvas belt rather than a rubber impregnated one, trickling a little (only a little) water on it while running will tighten it till it dries again.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:45 am

it'll slip and squeak after the belt dressing dries too---needs to be newer and better aligned
get er done; life is good

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks guys.
I looked around in the back of the barn and found some of the permetex belt dressing in an old spray can. Nozzle was busted, no compression, but plenty of fluid so I poked a hole in bottom of the can with and nail and drained it out into an old pump spray bottle. Sprayed a little out and it's kind of tacky to the touch so I'll give it a try. Club show is this weekend so I want to bring the mill down to grind some corn for chicken scratch.

Kirk

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:52 am

Check out this video

See the young feller with the spoon in his mouth? Well in his hand is a jar of sorghum molasses. He drizzled some on the belt with the spoon. Not alot, mind you. You don't want a big sticky mess! :-) Don't know if this will help in your case, but can't hurt to try.
Thomas

Cecil
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 13830
eBay ID: adak8965
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cecil » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:57 am

I was waiting to see it anyone mentioned molasses. That's what we used when I was on the farm.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Cecil wrote:I was waiting to see it anyone mentioned molasses. That's what we used when I was on the farm.
I know that was commonly used on canvas belts, but not so sure it will do much good on rubberized ones.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ShineOn
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63645
Tractors Owned: Bolens 1250

Cub 1949

Postby ShineOn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:31 am

Ain't nobody use leather no more?
The Constitution established a Government in Trust . Go from there .

Return to “Farmall Cub”