Using Fast Hitch Lift Rod for Rear Rockshaft

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kirk-NJ
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Re: Using Fast Hitch Lift Rod for Rear Rockshaft

Postby Kirk-NJ » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 am

Scott,
If you need a standard rockshaft rod I have one. I am open for a trade. Send me a pm if interested.

kirk

pickerandsinger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
1950 Ferguson TO20 w/ loader (John Henry)
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:48 am

PoconoCub wrote:
Bill Hudson wrote:Scott,

You are using parts from two different lift systems so there are some mechanical differences to account for.

In your case it is simple because the rockshaft you have uses a solid lift rod -no adjustment whatsoever. Since you are using a FH lift rod simply determine the proper length for the solid rod and set the adjusting nut and stop collar (after removing the spring) to the same length and tighten everything up. Your FH lift rod now functions as fixed length lift rod.

Using your FH lift rod on a FH is different in that some applications require a fixed length for slight down pressure. Other applications actually no down pressure, plowing being one that immediately comes to mind. Fixed length + down pressure applied + hitting a rock lifting the plow = bent lift rod.

Bill

No down pressure is my goal, the ground I will be working after the winter is hard and full of rocks. I am thinking of using the 193 moldboard first then the front and rear cultivators.

Scott
If rocks were potatoes I'd be a millionaire…I use the plow(fast hitch version) without the coulter and I set it up according to MR Hudsons specs….I cannot say enough about getting it set up properly….Then I disc harrow it….In the spring when it is slightly still wet seems to be the best time for my soil….It can be plowed afterward but it is a lot tougher…I know their are guys who don't like to plow when its wet but when rocks are involved it helps me….Course then you got all them rocks to deal with …..I just tried plowing with my "new" FH and old style Depth Control Lever ( another Bill recommendation BTW) and with weighted tires….I am amazed at what a Cub can do…. :D :D :D….BTW when I say wet I don't mean Sloppy, just enough for the rocks to have a place to move... :thanx:
In Memory of 58,286

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

This is a little bit of a side track, the the arm on your rockshaft appears to be a converted hand lift. The base appears normal, but the extra ear makes me think hand lift.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Scott,

As it appears to me, the spring is attached to exert down pressure on the rockshaft. In most situations the rockshaft is meant to only exert lifting force no down pressure. Take the spring off.

Bill

Look Bill no spring :) I am so glad I have a 3/4" drive set....

IMG_1333-2.jpg
IMG_1333-2.jpg (398.92 KiB) Viewed 156 times

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:15 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:This is a little bit of a side track, the the arm on your rockshaft appears to be a converted hand lift. The base appears normal, but the extra ear makes me think hand lift.

I am not sure what that extra arm is for maybe a helper spring, but I can tell you it is a factory addition and it is a normal rear rockshaft. I am pretty sure I bought it from TM Tractor or maybe JP Tractor a few years ago.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 pm

The extra ear was added by the factory for a helper spring. It was needed for the 201 planter and I think some other things.

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:22 pm

pickerandsinger wrote:If rocks were potatoes I'd be a millionaire…I use the plow(fast hitch version) without the coulter and I set it up according to MR Hudsons specs….I cannot say enough about getting it set up properly….Then I disc harrow it….In the spring when it is slightly still wet seems to be the best time for my soil….It can be plowed afterward but it is a lot tougher…I know their are guys who don't like to plow when its wet but when rocks are involved it helps me….Course then you got all them rocks to deal with …..I just tried plowing with my "new" FH and old style Depth Control Lever ( another Bill recommendation BTW) and with weighted tires….I am amazed at what a Cub can do…. :D :D :D….BTW when I say wet I don't mean Sloppy, just enough for the rocks to have a place to move... :thanx:

I'd be a multi millionaire :) 1. I live in the PA Slate belt so under the dirt is lots of shale, 2. A few years ago I was filling in large areas of my property and had lots of free what they call clean fill dropped and added many more rocks.

I have no problem with the rocks I will dig up, I still have a large pit to fill in and that is where the rocks will go :)

Mr Hudson will have to school me on how to set things up right so I don't hurt anything but the ground.

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm

Well with all this work adding the rear rockshaft, using the FH lift rod and installing the lifting bar the SMV triangle has a new home...

IMG_1330-2.jpg
IMG_1330-2.jpg (505.92 KiB) Viewed 145 times

Can't get anymore Center of the tractor than that :)

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:46 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The extra ear was added by the factory for a helper spring. It was needed for the 201 planter and I think some other things.

Thanks for the confirmation Jim, here is a picture of the helper spring setup...

2014-10-02_144355.jpg
2014-10-02_144355.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 144 times

Scott
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:47 pm

That arm and spring appear to be the same as used on the hand lift, just a different method for holding the front end.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!