This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power Take off shaft.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 169174

Power Take off shaft.

Postby Alan Gee » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Question, is the shaft on the Cub power take off a smaller version , is it something sized just for Cubs. can other items hook up to it?
I am not a farmer ok I live in farm country for sure but have never owned a tractor. We now have a nice Cub ( after a little work and a few bucks) and want to put it to use. It has a front blade and I jigged up a plow for the back and a disk harrow but it would be nice if there was a power tiller attachment. I see them around but dont know if they will fit up to the cub.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Power Take off shaft.

Postby Barnyard » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Alan, A cub PTO shaft is made for just the Cub. It is 10 spline versus a normal 6 spline. The PTO also turns at engine speed rather than the conventional 540 RPM. Only Cub specific PTO driven equipment will work with it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:42 pm

You have a couple of problems.

1) The PTO shaft is non standard and revolves counter (opposite) to the standard PTO.
2) Tillers. The standard Cub is not suitable for a tiller. Mostly because it's ground speed is to fast for a tiller. They do make a speed reducer and also a tiller that can then be used with the standard Cub. Both are extremely expensive. You can purchase a really nice rear tined walk behind tiller for what the speed reducer and tiller for the Cub would cost.
3) You can purchase an adapter to fit the Cub's PTO changing it to standard PTO size. Problem is that other than PTO implements made for Cubs, most PTO driven equipment will not work.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:19 am

Along with everything else already mentioned, remember the Cub PTO is offset, "regular" PTO's are centered on the machine. Running PTO driveshafts at angles will cause problems. The bigger the angle the bigger the problem.
Alan Gee wrote:..... It has a front blade and I jigged up a plow for the back and a disk harrow ...........
I'm not sure on your definition of "jigged" but take it to mean you made a plow for something else attach to your Cub. If so, I would recommend getting a plow designed for a Cub if you plan on doing any real plowing. Yes, you can stir the dirt with about anything hung off the back of the tractor, but to do a good job, and do it easier and more efficient, get a plow designed for a Cub.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:04 am

Hmm, I was afraid of that. OK thank you. As to me saying I "jigged up a plow" . A neighbor had a plow shear from an old Cub but all the suport structure was missing. I went to the steel distirbutor in our area and bought some nice thick steel bars and welded up a three point system that allows me to adjust the angle of the shear and the depth , it works just fine.
The Disk harrow I found was originaly made to be pulled by a ATV. It is about 3 feet wide and needed cinder blocks to push it down to do any good. There was no way to get it off the ground with an ATV. Thanks to the rock shaft and arm I not only can push it down into the ground but also get it off the ground to make my turn . It also took a bit of steel and welding but it works just fine for what we are doing. I would post a picture but dont know how. I got the idea for the plow from a catalog called NORTHERN TOOL & EQUIPMENT . They show a devise called a Nortracc 3 pt middle buster. The item I " jigged up" looks like it but is adjustable .

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:56 am

If it works "fine", as you say, then that's all that matters. With your additional description I am even more curious about what you did. How about some pictures? Always interesting to see how someone solves a problem of not having all the parts.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:08 am

OK I will try to load a photo of my Rube Goldberg plow. The suport structure is fabed out of 5/8 th thick 3.5 inch wide bar stock so its plenty strong. You cant see it but there are adjustment holes bored so I can adjust the angle the shear sits at.
Attachments
plow.jpg
plow.jpg (190.31 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:45 am

That is pretty darned impressive fabrication if you ask me.

The plow bottom definitely isn't from a Cub, it's from something even smaller like a Brinly sleeve hitch plow, or possibly even one of those David Bradley walk-behind type tractors. Your Cub must absolutely play with it. Sink it as deep as you want right?

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:23 pm

The shear looks smaller in this shot due to the angle but yes its on the small side. It is fine for the size garden we have and yes I dont thing the old Cub even knows its there. Prior to this I had been useing a walk behind rototiller Total PITA. I live in North central Pa. We grow rocks here. I dont care how many we plow up and dig out next year there are more. The roto tiller constantly was jaming up and stalling on rocks. Old Cubby just does not care. I heard one fellow clanging over one rock after another and saying Ah yes Tioga County topsoil at it best.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:51 pm

Scrivet wrote:.......Always interesting to see how someone solves a problem of not having all the parts.
You aren't missing some of the parts, you're missing ALL the parts! Great job of design, ingenuity, and fabrication. :{_}: I think that definitely deserves an A. I can't tell from the picture if the plow is offset enough to drive the right wheel in the furrow on the next pass and not on the already plowed ground; if so then it's an A+. Either way I'm definitely impressed.

Alan Gee
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Alan Gee » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks for the complements. As to the offset. It is not right where it should be but it works. My main goal was to break up the ground W/O killing myself.
My next project will be to " jig up " a way to release and change the angle of the snow plow from the seat and of course not spend a lot of money ha haha . Stay tuned..

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 am

Alan Gee wrote:My next project will be to " jig up " a way to release and change the angle of the snow plow from the seat and of course not spend a lot of money
Here is an example Angle Snowplow Blade Manually
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Farmall Cub”