This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

new sediment bowl question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ShakerPrairie
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47561
Tractors Owned: 1944 Case DC3.
1949 Cub.
1951 Case DC3.
1953 Cub.
1973 Power King.
1980 IH 184.

Re: new sediment bowl question

Postby ShakerPrairie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Hey Charles. I'd use some kind of thread sealant otherwise you're liable to have to pull it back off and start all over due to a leak.
Really probably about any kind of common pipe thread sealant would work. I've used a lot of No. 2 Permatex gasket sealant on pipe threads in the past.
I don't use much teflon tape, mostly on plumbing around the house ect.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:06 am

Just got my new sediment bowl in the mail.
I asked the boys at the auto parts store what to use on it.
They said teflon tape.
Asked about pipe compound and they advised against it.

Seems to me the trouble with teflon tape is putting it on in the wrong direction or over tightening the fitting.
Over tightening cuts the tape into tiny ribbons.

With tapered pipe threads you can eventually tighten a fitting with no compound or tape so it doesn't leak.
But that's only a theory. If you get it that tight, generally, you'll have to drill it out to get it out and then re-tap the hole.
That's based on my work experience with high pressure air and hydraulic lines in a factory setting.

Whatever you use don't starve the joint by over tightening.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am

The sediment bowl also has to end up with the outlet pointed in the right direction to install the gas line. That position may or may not be where the threads are tight enough to prevent leakage.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am

Bob McCarty wrote:The sediment bowl also has to end up with the outlet pointed in the right direction to install the gas line. That position may or may not be where the threads are tight enough to prevent leakage.

I used ptfe pipe compound for that reason. With tape, it was turned a little too far to line up. The pipe compound is more forgiving. Hasn't leaked (touch wood) in the year or more since I replaced it.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:27 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:The sediment bowl also has to end up with the outlet pointed in the right direction to install the gas line. That position may or may not be where the threads are tight enough to prevent leakage.

Bob

That's why at the factory and at home I put a little more tape on rather than less. In fact I got to looking at my new sediment bowl assembly and decided to tape the fitting that leads to the gas line AND the threads on the shut-off valve side.
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

taxicub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 66429
Tractors Owned: 49 cub
4310 JD

Postby taxicub » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 pm

For wrapping tape in the correct direction - hold object to be taped in left hand and lay tape on top of threads. Wrap tape away from you.

If object is in right hand - lay tape on top and wrap toward you

NJ Farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08876
Tractors Owned: 1953 F-Cub
1957 F-Cub
1956 Lo-Boy
1971 Cub Cadet 149
1976 Cub Cadet 1200

Postby NJ Farmer » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:33 am

I never heard of yellow fuel line tape but there is a product called Fuel Lube (google search) and it is used as a lubricate/sealant for fuel line fitting. It comes in a tube or small can. It really reminds me of bees wax but it has worked great for me.

Aero Farmer

Return to “Farmall Cub”