How did those old guys do it?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
offrink
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

How did those old guys do it?

Postby offrink » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:47 pm

I spent 7 hour today mowing my 4 back acres of pasture. They haven't been mowed all year and I have a woods 59 and it took forever. This was the first time I mowed the property because we moved in mid December last year. Lots of sudden shifts as I went over hidden branches and holes. A couple of very steep and bumpy hills and had to go over all of the area at least twice but more likely three times. Now I'm sore. My 6'6" frame gets whipping around on some of those big bumps and turns.

So my question is, how did people 50 years ago spend so many hours on a tractor an not constantly get beaten up? Is being a foot to 6" shorter really make that much or a difference? Did they just get use to it? I had red paint running down my pant leg because it rubbed off the steering column.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How did those old guys do it?

Postby Barnyard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:57 pm

While a lot of Cubs will handle a woods 59 fairly well, the going gets tough when the grass hasn't been mowed all year. Generally the old timers mowed more often than that, which made it easier. You ma have mown it faster had you used a 42 mower.

As far as not getting beaten up, most farmers weren't 6'6". I would say your size is what played the biggest part in any bruises you may have incurred.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 pm

The old timers did not spend 8 hours a day on a cub, they spent 12+ hours if they were using them as intended, and thought it was much better than spending 3 or 4 times that much time behind a horse. In addition, yes they were tougher than we are now. I am old and fat now (66), but the amount and type of work I did in my teens and 20s would overwhelm most people of that age now. Not bragging, just a statement of fact, you had to do more work to get by then. I can't help but laugh at the farmers that absolutely have to have an air conditioned tractor, I was thankful for an umbrella.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 pm

I'll bet when you were done you sat down in a chair and took it easy? 50 years ago when you were done in the field you came in to do chores. Milking cows by hand, moving feed and manure, taking a late supper, etc. When you hear kids today complain that they are starving or have some minor ache and cant do anything its kind of sad. That's the appreciation I wish everyone had for farmers . My dad and I farmed until he was 72, he is now 85 years old, is in better shape than me, and has probably eaten more butter and ice cream than everyone on this forum combined. Hard work went a long way back then, physically and mentally. Its just too bad the monetary payback wasn't equal to the love of the land they had, and the hard work they endured. But once you get up on a Cub or any (old) tractor for a length of time you start to see, feel, and understand it. Its part of what makes owning a tractor and this forum a great experience.

Tim

ps. -" Did you know if your parents didn't have kids you probably wont either!" My father says that a lot.

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm

I can attest to the fact that a 42 would get you done sooner, especially if you weren't trying to get it down to lawn height. But yeah, I often marvel at the notion of the work that the old guys did back in the day, on a daily basis.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:47 pm

brewzalot wrote:My dad and I farmed until he was 72, he is now 85 years old, is in better shape than me, and has probably eaten more butter and ice cream than everyone on this forum combined.

My wife will attest to the fact that I could give him a good run for his money when it comes to butter and ice cream. :lol:

brewzalot wrote:Hard work went a long way back then, physically and mentally.

It still does, but many aren't willing to find out.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:58 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I can't help but laugh at the farmers that absolutely have to have an air conditioned tractor, I was thankful for an umbrella.

I get a chuckle out of the farmers (in more recent times) that refused to get a cab, air conditioning etc. on a tractor. They spend 10 hours baking on the tractor, then hop into their fully loaded pickup truck for an air conditioned 15 minute ride home.

Back to the original subject, I think about everyone always hated mowing a pasture. They are always rough and full of trash. Livestock do a number on the surface of a field. Cropland was always a much smoother ride, except for the first pass over freshly plowed land. Typically you are working the field in the same direction each time and the going isn't bad. If you want a rude awakening, try driving crosswise on a hay field.

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Exactly- you understand perfectly Barnyard -he gave blood once and it came out pure butter pecan ice cream!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 am

A bigger tractor with taller and wider tires and a longer frame will smooth out the pasture - some what.

50 years ago the farmer would have used the sickle bar mower to clip the pasture and cut hay. The farmer would have ran cattle, livestock, on the pasture.
I have an excuse. CRS.

torchred89
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 am

brewzalot wrote:I'll bet when you were done you sat down in a chair and took it easy? 50 years ago when you were done in the field you came in to do chores. Milking cows by hand, moving feed and manure, taking a late supper, etc. When you hear kids today complain that they are starving or have some minor ache and cant do anything its kind of sad. That's the appreciation I wish everyone had for farmers . My dad and I farmed until he was 72, he is now 85 years old, is in better shape than me, and has probably eaten more butter and ice cream than everyone on this forum combined. Hard work went a long way back then, physically and mentally. Its just too bad the monetary payback wasn't equal to the love of the land they had, and the hard work they endured. But once you get up on a Cub or any (old) tractor for a length of time you start to see, feel, and understand it. Its part of what makes owning a tractor and this forum a great experience.

Tim

ps. -" Did you know if your parents didn't have kids you probably wont either!" My father says that a lot.

I agree a 100 percent! On a good day we would put a 1000 bales of hay a day in the barn. Then help milk. When I was done I would run to play baseball or football. Not play computer games!

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:40 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:........ I am old and fat now (66), but the amount and type of work I did in my teens and 20s .........
I think you need to have Joann read the scales if you think you only weigh 66lbs. :lol:

offrink wrote:........ They haven't been mowed all year and I have a woods 59 and it took forever. This was the first time I mowed the property because we moved in mid December last year. ..........
First time mowed this year and no telling how long since it had been mowed, if ever, before you moved in surely played a part. As well as using a Woods 59 as has already been mentioned. It'll get easier when you mow it a couple times a year, pick up stuff, fill holes, and learn what pattern works best.

BIGHOSS
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog

and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 am

If most dads were like mine and others I knew, they encouraged (made) their teenage sons drive the tractors, while they did more "important" chores..
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give......Winston Churchill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:22 am

BIGHOSS wrote:If most dads were like mine and others I knew, they encouraged (made) their teenage sons drive the tractors, while they did more "important" chores..
Driving the tractor was usually preferable to the "more important chores". :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

TomE
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28698
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 TO35

Postby TomE » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 pm

What Is the tread width of your cub? Wider is better. What are your tires inflated to?
Have you moved the seat back?
I'm 6'4 which might be the limit, but don't suffer that much.
And yes, those old guys were just tougher than we are. I plowed 400 yards behind draft horses once, and discovered how puny a man I am. I think the men that did that work all day were as strong as wild animals.

DieselDennis
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 39042
eBay ID: ccbil
Tractors Owned: '48 Cub (Great Granddaddy's)
And some bigger ones.....

Postby DieselDennis » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:06 pm

I think back then, they didn't let 4 acres go like that and then just mow it to have it mowed. Land just didn't sit like that to a farmer. Try to cut it regularly for hay, run goats on it, or even a cow on the end of the rope. There was something else to knock it down first.

Whenever I get on my Cub, it's usually for novelty. Sure, we all use them, and get on them for a reason, but I have a handful of other options that could do the work just as easily (or easier). 4 wheelers are faster, modern tractors have more capabilities, etc. But when I think about my great granddaddy climbing on the Cub, I think "this was all he had. This was his 'big' tractor. This was an upgrade from an F-20. What did they do if the Cub wasn't enough? Drag out more mules?" Then that makes me appreciate what the Cub does more.
'48 Cub 12V Conversion, Zenith Carb, Electronic Ignition