Governor Linkage Disassembly Question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Governor Linkage Disassembly Question

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Paul, Remove one of the pivot pins and see if the pin has a groove worn in it, or if the holes in the weight are wallowed out.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:57 am

FamilyCub wrote:Hi John, I will pick up some Diet Pepsi tomorrow and give it a try. Did your shim go all the way around the shaft or was it just enough to take the wiggle out? Thanks! ~ Smitty
All but the key way in my case, but what to do will depend on the amount of wear. Most real auto parts stores stock shim stock in different thickness that they sell by the inch. An inch will do several governor shafts.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:13 am

Here's another "How to" by Lurker Carl that I had forgotten about: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... index.html

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

FamilyCub
Zip Code: 48817
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2007 Bad Boy

Postby FamilyCub » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:21 pm

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks John! Your shim idea worked great. I did have to make mine using a Coke can though. We don't drink many beverages in a can so I borrowed one from the Neighbor and he drinks Coke. The shaft didn't seem to mind! { ;- )>

Any advice on removing the Governor/Ignition Drive Seal. I have a new one for replacement. I tapped on the old one lightly but it did not move.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

~ Smitty
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a bit short of the "Zippity" for my "Do Da Day!"

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub
~ Big Dog -- 2007 Bad Boy Lightning Z

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:43 pm

FamilyCub wrote:Any advice on removing the Governor/Ignition Drive Seal. I have a new one for replacement. I tapped on the old one lightly but it did not move.

Thanks again for everyone's help!~ Smitty

Smitty, The easiest method I have found to remove this seal is to drive it out from the governor side toward the magneto. After removing the magneto or distributor, a long chisel point placed near the edge of the seal and good blow with a hammer will quickly dislodge it. Just be careful not to strike the sealing surface.
Bill VanHooser
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm

Sometimes that seal is pretty tight, both removing and installing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

FamilyCub
Zip Code: 48817
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
2007 Bad Boy

Postby FamilyCub » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Apologies for the late reply but I was back on 12 hour shifts since November 3. Thanks Bill! Your advise worked well and the seal came out good. Thanks to you was well John! The seal was really tight going back in.

I ended up making a tool of sorts to get the seal back in straight and seated properly at 23/32". I took a 3-1/4" hole saw and cut a round piece of 3/4" plywood, which coincidentally is 23/32" thick now. (I wonder if that 1/32" thickness of wood makes that much more money for the lumber companies?) I cut another piece of 3/4" plywood 1-1/2" wide by 3-3/4" long and glued and screwed it to my round donut of plywood. I got the seal started and tapped it the rest of the way in with my plywood seal setter. I worked it all the way round so it was set in the block uniformly. I double checked the measurements with my calipers and it was at the 23/32" depth all the way around.

I finished putting Nellie back together today. I had to pull the gas tank back off because the sediment bowl was seeping gas. There was a small piece of the old cork gasket stuck on it and I couldn't see it or feel it with the tank on. The rebuilt governor works great. The engine really runs smooth when throttled up/down. I am really pleased with how this project turned out and I want to thank everyone again that provided the knowledge and wisdom to make this possible. Many thanks!

While I had the hood and fan off, I did a few other things for Nellie while the access was easy. I cleaned the grease off the front of her engine, she got new radiator hoses, I flushed her radiator and filled it with fresh anti-freeze, I replaced her radiator cap, she got a new alternator belt and I gave her a "Tiny Tach" that has a built in hour meter. I haven't found a place to mount the "Tiny Tach" yet. For now, I have it zip tied to the wiring harness beside the Touch Control.

When I brought Nellie home last year, she did not have a starter (other than the hand crank), alternator, battery or any lights. I started getting these for her last summer. Over the summer, I got the battery mounted, installed the alternator & wiring and installed the light and alternator switches. At this time, I had not found original Cub lights so I made some temporary brackets and installed a couple (one front, one back) LED lights until I could find some original lights. I found a pair of headlights nearby last week and my brother was nice enough to go pick them up for me. They were in rougher shape than I expected. I ended up replacing the reflectors, seals and lens on both lights but it was worth the effort. They look nice on the hood from the drivers seat and with the new parts they work nice too.

I finished about 4:00 p.m. today so it was still light out. I went up to the garage thinking I would clean up until it got dark so I could test the lights out. It took longer to get dark than expected so the garage is the cleanest it has been since we moved here 8 years ago. Finally, it got completely dark so I went out to Nellie's tractor barn and got her out. I rode around in the back yard for 20 minutes checking out the lights and getting them aimed good for me. My neighbor knows I had been working on Nellie these last few weeks. He suddenly showed up in her new headlight beams. He told me that he liked the new lights a lot but he was hoping I would not drive around in the back yard all night because the lights kept shinning in his living room window. Oops!

Thanks so much everyone!
~ Smitty
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm a bit short of the "Zippity" for my "Do Da Day!"

~ Nellie -- 1951 Cub
~ Big Dog -- 2007 Bad Boy Lightning Z