This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jimmymike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 37380
Tractors Owned: 2007 John Deere 3203
1948 Farmall Cub

Re: 1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

Postby Jimmymike » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks guys, you all set me up with all the right info as usual. This is a great forum, every question I've asked has been promptly answered and with the correct way to do things. I will try and adjust the brakes first and see if there is any improvement. I may have had the Cub loaded down more than I should. Probably the weight of the trailer and load of hickory far exceeded the weight of the tractor, especially on these hills around here.

While working the tractor I noticed the amp gauge starting to act erratically. It would charge and then stop charging. Sometimes it would move quicly back and forth from zero to 30 amps. When it wasn't acting up it would stay steady on 30 amps. Might be a loose belt but did not have time to check last night. If the belt is OK would the erratic charging be an indication something is wrong with the voltage regulator or generator? What checks would you suggest?

One thing I would like to hook up is a temperature gauge. I'm not overheating but would like to monitor the water temp. I think I have a unused blank space on the control panel (not been punched out) that I could fit a gauge in. Is there a place on the block where I could install a temperature probe?

One last question, I would like to hook up a timing light (I'll hook it up to my 12volt charger for power) and check the #1 firing on the timing mark. Since there are no marks on the crank pulley, other than the TDC notch, how far past the timing pointer should I get a light when #1 fires while running at idle? I will make a white mark on the pulley in the location you guys think it should fire. I would just like to check it and make sure I've got it timed as close to perfect that I can get. If you think this is overkill just give me a good laugh.

It might be awhile before I chime in with another problem, I hope. Just want to thank again all that have helped me. All the advice I have received has been great advice. You guys have taught me a lot in the past few weeks about working on this Cub. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ben B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24354
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1948 Farmall Cub - stored and not running

Postby Ben B » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:45 am

I understand the frustration you've had with getting your tractor running. I've had several problems with mine as well, but thanks to the guys on the forum my cub is doing better and better. The folks here have helped me tremendously.

I haven't chimed in on your problems, but I'm still a rookie with cubs myself. But, when it came to timing my magneto, I used this video that one of our members posted on youtube, and it helped me. Just seeing it done helps me a great deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqucExhxXdE

I did the timing light, but couldn't really tell much by it. But, when I followed the instructions in the video, my rough and barely running cub fired to life and started purring like a kitten.

Good Luck!
1950 Farmall Cub post demo 108xxx
1964 Farmall Cub 6 volt 223xxx
1968 Fairmont Railroad Motor Car 2 cycle hit and miss single cylinder

Return to “Farmall Cub”