Missy to the rescue, AGAIN!!!!

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Missy to the rescue, AGAIN!!!!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:51 pm

I have a 15 or 20 year old 2 cycle golf cart I use to run around my place and to neighboring farms. I drove it to a neighbors to take him my big Dewalt battery impact and a jack to help with a tire, and when I got ready to come home it would not turn over. No lights, no horn, no click, no nothing. The lights and horn work without the switch being on, so that was puzzling. Checked the battery connections, which were tight, checked everything again, and was checking every thing I could think of when I bumped the horn and it blew. Turned the key and hit the accelerator, and it went about 10 feet and died with everything dead again. Couldn't find anything wrong, and since it was already dark the neighbor brought me home. I knew I shouldn't have put those new tires on the cart yesterday. :x Rained all morning and most of afternoon, but when neighbor came back home for lunch he called me and said the head lights of the golf cart were on, so he turned them off. I had them on when it quit last night and forgot to turn them off, and sometime during the morning they had come on. About 4 o'clock this afternoon it finally stopped raining and I took Missy and a chain over to get it.

Sorry for the lousy picture quality, but my NON Smart phone has a pretty lousy camera. I had to charge the battery due to the lights being on, so I did not do any more trouble shooting, but after spending about 30 minutes going over the wiring diagram in the service manual I think I figured it out, but won't have time to check it for a day or two. You would not believe how complicated a wiring diagram that something so simple has.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Puffie40
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Missy to the rescue, AGAIN!!!!

Postby Puffie40 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:22 pm

Sounds like a tripping circuit breaker with the golf cart. look around for abraded wires and shorts.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:05 am

The breaker is a manual reset, but I still believe that is the fault. The breaker is auxiliary circuit that feeds the control circuits. the wiring for that thing is weird though. This is the second time the cub and carryall have brought the golf cart home, other time was for a bad battery, and it has hauled neighbors Yerf Dog CUV to my shed 3 times for various break downs.

PoconoCub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 18330
Tractors Owned: .
1957 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Cub
1949 Farmall Cub
1948 Farmall Cub

Postby PoconoCub » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:13 am

John if I was still in the towing business I would have to hire you :)
Scott
ImageCircle of Safety

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:58 pm

Last time I tried towing something with a Cub, the Cub ended up being towed :cry:

For every ones information; Research has shown a Cub with a worn clutch will NOT pull a Farmall H with wide front, rear wheel weights, over sized seat weight, three point, and three point scoop full of dirt out of a hole.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:53 pm

Scrivet wrote:Last time I tried towing something with a Cub, the Cub ended up being towed :cry:

For every ones information; Research has shown a Cub with a worn clutch will NOT pull a Farmall H with wide front, rear wheel weights, over sized seat weight, three point, and three point scoop full of dirt out of a hole.
As is proven by the one setting in my way in the repair bay. :lol:

Got the cart repaired. 20 minutes to tear it down enough to get to the circuit breaker, 2 minutes to cut of the old burned wire terminal, and crimp a new one on, and another 15 minutes to put it back together.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:58 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:20 minutes to tear it down . . . 15 minutes to put it back together.

That's not right. Unless extreme rust is involved, tearing apart is supposed to be quicker than putting back.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:25 pm

Jim Becker wrote:That's not right. Unless extreme rust is involved, tearing apart is supposed to be quicker than putting back.
A lot of that time was figuring out what needed to come off next. I could not see the breaker, it was inside a bracket that held the coil, master relay, etc. I could reach it enough to feel it was getting hot at one end. Had I known the problem was a bad push on terminal I would not even have had to remove the breaker, simply unplug the terminal and replace it.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:30 pm

Scrivet wrote:Last time I tried towing something with a Cub, the Cub ended up being towed :cry:

A Cub will, however, pull an International 240 Utility with one loaded rear tire, oversized seat weight, and one frozen brake on concrete.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I think Scrivet's cub would have pulled the H, but our "expert" analysis showed the clutch disk was apparently worn to the point the heads had worn off the rivets, and the higher than normal torque on it cleaned the linings off to bare metal.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:12 pm

In case anyone is interested in what the electrical diagram for an old 2 cycle Par Car looks like, here it is. Remember when looking at it that a 2 cycle engine will run backwards as well as forward, just not as strongly, so to back up, the starter/generator runs backwards to start the engine.