1953 govenor question

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jayc1945
Zip Code: 15537

1953 govenor question

Postby jayc1945 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:22 am

HI GUYS! I saw some questions about govenors but i have one i didn't see on here, i just got my first farmall cub and the throttle lever (when running) pops right back to idle when i take my hand off of it. it seems to really push back also, its not bound up or anything, and when it's not running, it stays where i put it, if i push the throttle up w/ the rock shaft it want's to shove my hand back also. the guy i bought it from said he and his dad re-did the motor and hyd. sys. and i don't know if they did anything to the gov. or not. could it be something as simple as a worn out throttle lever assy? cause it does seem worn, or does it sound more like a gov. prob? your expert advice is wecome GREATLY! THANKS!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 1953 govenor question

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:39 am

There are at least four possibilities for your issue.

* Worn throttle lever and/or quadrant
* Bent rod between throttle lever and governor
* Improperly adjusted rod between governor and carburetor
* All of the above

My guess would be the first one. There are several good threads and how-to's for repairing the assembly. Do a search for "throttle quadrant" or "throttle lever". If they're not worn too badly, a small triangular file can usually re-establish the teeth on the quadrant.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39