This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tips for putting on chains

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Tips for putting on chains

Postby offrink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Any good tips for putting them on? I think last year I jacked up the back end but don't know if it's safe with loaded tires and double wheel weights.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Tips for putting on chains

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Lay and stretch out the chains on the drive way. Drive tractor on to the chains, about 1/3rd the length of the chains. Now throw the longest portion of the chains over the tire. Fasten chains.

You may need to move the tractor forward or backward a bit as you adjust and tighten the chains.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:54 pm

I have jacked up each rear wheel (loaded with two wheel weights mounted) to install chains with no problems. No need to have any more than a couple inches clearance to clear the chains. The advantage is that you can turn the wheel and take a lot of slack out of the chain.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:18 pm

I do it the same as Bill, just stick a floor jack under the corner of the drawbar on each side as you work on it and raise the chain up close to the top of the wheel. As you tunr the wheel keep working the slack out of it, Usually pretty easy to get on.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:21 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:I have jacked up each rear wheel (loaded with two wheel weights mounted) to install chains with no problems. No need to have any more than a couple inches clearance to clear the chains. The advantage is that you can turn the wheel and take a lot of slack out of the chain.

Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I do it the same as Bill, just stick a floor jack under the corner of the drawbar on each side as you work on it and raise the chain up close to the top of the wheel. As you tunr the wheel keep working the slack out of it, Usually pretty easy to get on.

:Dito:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Similar to Eugene's method, I bungee one end of the chain onto the tire, then drive forward 'til that end rotates around to make the connection. Use 6 or so bungees to secure chains from outside edge thru wheel to inside edge. Stays secure all winter.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby offrink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:45 pm

So the people that use the jack do you put it under the drawbar? I thought it would overload the drawbar due to 300 lbs of wheel weight plus the loaded wheel and tractor.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:38 pm

Most people who use the drawbar do so close to where it bolts to the final drive and lift just one side. There is also a flat spot under each axle housing (as seen on the right in the pic below) where you can set a bottle jack. However you do it, make sure you chock the front wheels to keep it from rolling away.

Photo from TM Tractor Parts
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:07 pm

If the tires do not have liquid ballast, lowering the air pressure with the weight off the tires when fastening the chains and then reinflating will help the chains be tighter.
Luck favors those who are prepared

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:12 pm

offrink wrote:So the people that use the jack do you put it under the drawbar? I thought it would overload the drawbar due to 300 lbs of wheel weight plus the loaded wheel and tractor.

I'm sure that most of us here jack up one side of the tractor at a time. I load my Cub up with double weights and it's never been a problem.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby offrink » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Ok thanks. Just would hate to break the casting or damage something just by doing something to quick and not check.

WaMoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 99109
Tractors Owned: 1954 Farmall Cub
2013 NH Workmaster 40

Postby WaMoo » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I've always "hung iron" by laying the chains centered over the top of the tire, and connecting them at bottom. No need to jack it up, no need to drive onto them.
WaMoo - Dairy Farmer and U.S. Coast Guard (Retired)
Chewelah, WA
"I had rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world."
~George Washington

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:24 am

What Ive done is use my special boards. I used some large 4 x 20 flat timbers that I used a router to cuts grooves out of. I can lay the chains in the grooves then drive the tractor on top of them.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:30 am

I put heavy truck chains on and off all the time. it super easy if you just grab the chain in the middle, throw it up over the tire so the back ends of the chain are just touching the ground a little. kick the front of the chain to bunch the front up under the tire then pull the tractor forward over the chains. now the bunched up pile is in the back behind the tire. hook up the s hook on the inside of the tire first then hook up the clasp on the outside. if you did it right the clips will be around 4 or 5 o'clock so you don't have to pick up a heavy chain and hold it with 1 hand while you do the clips. add bungees if you want it tight. if you leave your chains loose they will clean out better in muddy conditions. it takes me less than 5 min to put chains on any of my tractors and I don't monkey around with jacks or anything.

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:52 am

Start by laying your chains out flat. Make sure there aren't any twists (looks like a kink) in the chains. Any twists can use up valuable chain length that makes it really difficult to get the chains on.
By "twists" I mean a place where the length of the chain has been looped through one of the ladder rungs. This is very easy to happen near the ends of the chains. "Untwist" the chain by feeding the length back through the ladder rungs in the opposite direction.

I drive over the 3/4 of the chains and attach them on the back. Do the inside first then the outside.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Return to “Farmall Cub”