Steering knuckle bolt measurement

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
stevey30
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 28110

Steering knuckle bolt measurement

Postby stevey30 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:46 am

Can someone give me the measurement at the tip of a new knuckle bolt.I am redoing my bolt holes but do not have my new steering bolts yet and wanted to see how worn my old bolts are compared to new ones.I think they are around 1/4 " but need to know for sure.Not sure if it matters but mine are the square head course threaded bolts.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Steering knuckle bolt measurement

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:17 pm

If you are referring to the ones that hold the knuckles to the spindles, they are hardened pointed bolts (setscrews), not standard bolts.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/768fp.htm

Though the square heads were original on my cub I prefer the hex head so I can use my small impact on them to rattle them in good.
http://www.tmtractor.com/new/st/563fp.htm

If the points are missing from your they are probably broken off inside the spindle. Once the knuckle is off the spindle you can use a punch from the backside of the spindle to tap them out via the small hole on the back. It took me about 2 hours of trying to get a broken point out from the front side before I wiped the grease off and spotted the hole in the back side. :oops:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

stevey30
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 28110

Re: Steering knuckle bolt measurement

Postby stevey30 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Hey John,yeah I realize they are tapered bolts,I want the measurement on the very tip of the taper,I am trying to determine how much the hole is wallered out.I think the end of the taper is suppose to be 1/4" then tapers out to the size of the bolt.I am trying to redo the holes where the bolts go into.