Advice on Farmall purchase

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Advice on Farmall purchase

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:19 am

Andrew, the width of the rear wheels is changed by mounting the center disc in different positions on the rim, and also by turning the rim around. It doesn't seem like the non-adjustable front axle was very popular. If the Cub you are looking at has one, you can probably trade it for an adjustable one, or easily find an adjustable one.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

havoc1482
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 01034
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 am

Cub rear is adjusted the same way as the A/SA. Here is my SA. Notice the flipped hubs. As Bob said, you change the width by doing a combination of flipping and mounting the hubs on the inside or outside of the rim mounting points.

Take note that the left ("driverside") hub is mounted inside of the rim while the right one is mounted on the outside.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

AndrewB
Zip Code: v0n2l0

Postby AndrewB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:18 pm

That looks great! I wish my Kubota had that adjust. Thanks for all the great info. You guys are saving me a bunch of digging around.

I did confirm that the fronts are adjustable as well. This is all great but I'm poking around at the photos of the mentioned tractor for sale and it doesn't look as if it has the mounts for belly cultivating tools. The rod that the hydraulics are attached to is hooked up to a blade up front I believe. Would that make sense? I think I'll be missing what I'm seeing called the "universal mounting frame". I will be needing those for certain. With a few quick searches it would seem that they aren't quite as easy to find as I hoped. Are these indeed hard to find? Are the cub and super A frames interchangeable?

I'm hoping to mount a basket weeder underneath it and it will need to attached to the lift somehow...

Thanks again for the help guys

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:23 pm

Universal mounting frames not the same. Some tools will mount to either frame. Check implement parts breakdown and use common sense to find what you need .
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Thank you. Good to know that the frames are different. I've hunted around for a a universal mounting frame to fit a Super A and I've only come up with cub frames... and just a few at that. Pricy things as far as I'm finding. Sounds like they won't help me out.

I'll dig around some more. I've found the manual for the super A and plenty of info on the Cub, but so far no implement breakdown resource. Would you be able to point me in that direction if you have a moment? Thank you

AndrewB

Postby AndrewB » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:33 pm

Found the link above on this page. Was hunting everywhere but in front of me. Thank you

AL Farmall Boy
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35111

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:15 pm

Is this the type Basket Weeder you're wanting to use? I think this one mounts under a Cub tractor..........but would prolly work with a Super A as well. That one would mount up to the Universal Mounting Frame.
Attachments
Farmall Cub_Basket Weeder.jpg
Farmall Cub_Basket Weeder.jpg (49.51 KiB) Viewed 69 times
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com
:tractor: Like my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on Facebook! :tractor: