This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 59 Mower Spindle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 59 Mower Spindle "SUCCESS"

Postby BIGHOSS » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:48 pm

Well it is back together and everything looks good. JR and Steve came by this afternoon for a mini-fest. JR watched, I handed tools to Steve while he did the work. :D :D :D

We did not make any pics, but re-assembling is pretty straight forward. I do not have a press, so we had to drive in bearings, sleeve and seals. The roll pin holes which holds it all together were a little tricky, but worked out well.

I think that the problem is rust and corrosion between the sleeve and shaft. This is much like trying to separate a cub seat post. But, the key is to have a large hydraulic press. Don't think that the Harbor Freight type is sturdy enough.

Total cost was less than $40, as opposed to buying a new one for $150 or so.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 59 Mower Spindle "SUCCESS"

Postby staninlowerAL » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:55 pm

BIGHOSS wrote:After failing with a BIG hammer and a hydraulic press finally got the sleeve removed from shaft assy with a big press in tool and die shop. It released with a "BANG". The sleeve had corrosion inside that bonded itself to the shaft. That is probably the reason for not being able to rebuild. Because of moisture and rust, the shaft is attached firmly to the sleeve.
But anyway, picked up new bearings and seals today for $33.61. Will try to make pics as I progress.

That's why I love neverseize, Locktite C5A is my favorite. Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Return to “Farmall Cub”