This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Good Auction find

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dougw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43061
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1920 Fordson
1948 Ford 8n
1952 Ford 8n
1953 Jubilee NAA

Good Auction find

Postby dougw » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:20 pm

I don’t usually post much on here but enjoy reading the forum. I have learned a lot over the last 4 years of owning my 1948 Cub. I thought I would share some pics of my current auction finds. If everyone is like me they enjoy seeing pictures.
I picked up 2 plows . One plow is for a farmall super A and appears to have all the linkage. The other is a 193 plow. The 193 plow looks to me like it had very little use. It did not come with any but I already have everything needed to hook it up as a worn out plow came with my Cub. I may hook it up in the spring and play around with it.

Thanks
Doug

Super A plow

193 Plow

My 1953 Ford helping me move the plows

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Re: Good Auction find

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Looks like you're missing the other Super A plow!

Make sure you take care of that linking rod for the SA plows, not exactly a fun part to find.

Nice finds though!

Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

dougw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43061
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1920 Fordson
1948 Ford 8n
1952 Ford 8n
1953 Jubilee NAA

Postby dougw » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 am

Yea, I noticed the missing 2nd plow. Wished I could have found that at the auction. I think the last owner used it on his Cub.

I was looking on fleebay and saw what people were asking for the linkage for super a plow. They are asking more than I paid for both plows combined.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:03 am

I like auction finds. Auctions are fun to attend and bring something home. Congrats on the two-plow purchase. Looks like that 193 has a good point and not seen much use.

Let us know how it works out for you in the Spring.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:07 am

Always sort of wanted a one bottom Super A plow (A-193). You can really haul with a single 16" bottom! Most around these parts had two 12" bottoms.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:34 pm

Super A wrote:....... You can really haul with a single 16" bottom! Most around these parts had two 12" bottoms.....
Off the initial topic but I don't understand wanting the 16" over the 2-12" :?

100 foot wide field times 12" per foot equals 1,200 inches
1,200 inches divided by 16" (per pass) equals 75 trips across the field
1,200 inches divided by 24" (2 times 12" per pass) equals 50 trips across the field

Your going to have to really "really haul" with your 16 to beat the 2 -12's!

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Not all Super As have the independent rear rockshafts. Every Super A-140 I've seen around where I live doesn't have the left-right release levers behind the shifter.

Thats the only reason I can find why you'd use a 1 way over the 2 way.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:02 am

Somebody is going to have to explain to me a little better what they are talking about here. I was thinking the 2-12's were both plowing at the same time but realize now that you may be talking about a two way plow that only does twelve inches at a time. :? :? So now in my example you are going to make 100 trips across the field? But you would have the plow in the dirt longer as you could turn around at the end of the row and "plow back" to the start. With the 16" you could also "plow back" as well but would have to move over a ways and you'd end up with a dead furrow or a hump, plus the added time to move over each time.

I thought I understood ....... :? :? So which is the better way and which is the faster way? :? :?

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:49 am

I see you thought of a double bottom not a single bottom two-way lol. I assumed you were talking about the plows like I have on my Super A (pictured above)

I guess the 2 way would still be better, because even though you are 4 inches smaller than the 16 you don't have to haul all the way to the beginning to start again.

Now of course if you are just plowing to turn the soil and then follow with a harrow I guess is doesn't matter if you end up with a dead furrow. When we prep tobacco field we have an International 3 bottom that we just box the field with because we go over with a disk harrow then a Perfecta afterwards.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:21 am

This is a Super A with a 2-12. Al will have to tell us if that is what he was talking about. Where I was from, one of these would probably stop a Super A from moving at all.

Photo credit, Wisconsin Historical Society.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:52 pm

2-12 does indeed mean two 12" bottoms both plowing at the same time.

IIRC the model number is A-295 for the 2-12 plow. It seems to be far less common than the A-193 plow with the single 16" bottom.
(Minion says "bottom" and cackles maniacally)

There are some parts where the tractor can pull a 2-12, but most places a 1-16 is all the Super A wants.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Scrivet wrote:
Super A wrote:....... You can really haul with a single 16" bottom! Most around these parts had two 12" bottoms.....
Off the initial topic but I don't understand wanting the 16" over the 2-12" :?

100 foot wide field times 12" per foot equals 1,200 inches
1,200 inches divided by 16" (per pass) equals 75 trips across the field
1,200 inches divided by 24" (2 times 12" per pass) equals 50 trips across the field

Your going to have to really "really haul" with your 16 to beat the 2 -12's!

My head hurts....

One 16" will handle tough conditions better than two 12s. In good ground you can pull the 16" faster too. I'd have to do some math to determine where the breakeven point would be where you could out-work the two 12s but I bet it could be done. Sort of like JD promoting the JD 4000 tractor back in the 60s......use its high horsepower to pull your existing equipment from your older, smaller tractor faster and thus get more work done. I'd mainly like one for club plow days and such, with so many different tractors and plows in the same field, you don't want to run out of land too fast....and plus if somebody ahead of you don't have their stuff set right, it's easier to do a nicer job with the single bottom.

In eastern NC I have never seen a two way plow for these tractors, at least not native to the area. I imagine there were some but I haven't seen them. All Super A's seem to have had the solid rockshaft, and most came with the two bottom A-295 plow as in Jim's picture. This was a two bottom plow with 12" bottoms. In good ground, and if you Super A had a "Super C kit" (IH Firecrater pistons and the other goodies that came with them) it would pull it in 3rd. (As an aside, most people automatically assume sandy land pulls easy. Not always true. Start plowing uphill on sand and you will find it can take a lot of power. Rolling fields might well be better plowed in 2nd or with a 193 plow.)

The A-193 plow for the Super A was available with 12, 14, or 16" bottoms. It was a single bottom, one way plow much like the Cub 193.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:46 pm

havoc1482 wrote:......I guess the 2 way would still be better, because even though you are 4 inches smaller than the 16 you don't have to haul all the way to the beginning to start again........
As long as you are only plowing east to west and just drive back to the east side to plow west again (I would think only done on a very small plot like a garden). If it's any size field, most likely it would be plowed east to west, move over fifty feet and plow west to east, go back to the first furrow and plow east to west again, repeat. Or box plow as you mentioned, I take it this just means similar to mowing grass, just start around the outside and keep winding your way in to the center.

So the question remains; which is faster using the two way plow or single bottom? But I'm starting to think from reading some of these answers that there is no answer because there are way to many variables. Condition of tractor, condition of soil, size/shape of field, size of plow (bottom size), to name a couple.

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Scrivet wrote:
havoc1482 wrote:......I guess the 2 way would still be better, because even though you are 4 inches smaller than the 16 you don't have to haul all the way to the beginning to start again........
As long as you are only plowing east to west and just drive back to the east side to plow west again (I would think only done on a very small plot like a garden). If it's any size field, most likely it would be plowed east to west, move over fifty feet and plow west to east, go back to the first furrow and plow east to west again, repeat. Or box plow as you mentioned, I take it this just means similar to mowing grass, just start around the outside and keep winding your way in to the center.

While we are on the subject.

There is 2 ways to box a field. 1 is to basically spiral inward like you mentioned. The 2nd is to split the field into multiple boxes.

Here is an example of 1 field split into 2 sections:

Green (1) is the first pass
Red (2) is the return pass
Orange (3) is the next pass
Blue (4) is the second return pass

Basically each return pass is like a new/next pass on a "separate field". This type of thing is more suited for tow behind implements such as disk harrows. It avoids tight turns by (A.) making the return entry point not next to the exit point and (B.)because regular boxing (working each side into the center) to negate tight turns will eventually lead to tight turns anyway as you approach the center. Now of course with Cubs and small tractors tight turns aren't too big of an issue, but if you've got a big mother-tractor and very little endspace on the fields its a Godsend.

Back on main subject:

There really is no answer, its all preference of the farmer.

I guess in the end a 2 12in bottom is better than a 1 16 bottom, especially if you don't care about a dead furrow.

I feel like you Cub guys should have an experiment during one of your Cubfests :lol:
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:42 pm

havoc1482 wrote:
Scrivet wrote:..... If it's any size field, most likely it would be plowed east to west, move over fifty feet and plow west to east, go back to the first furrow and plow east to west again, repeat. Or box plow as you mentioned, I take it this just means similar to mowing grass, just start around the outside and keep winding your way in to the center.

While we are on the subject.

There is 2 ways to box a field. 1 is to basically spiral inward like you mentioned. The 2nd is to split the field into multiple boxes.

Here is an example of 1 field split into 2 sections:

Green (1) is the first pass
Red (2) is the return pass
Orange (3) is the next pass
Blue (4) is the second return pass

Basically each return pass is like a new/next pass on a "separate field". This type of thing is more suited for tow behind implements such as disk harrows. It avoids tight turns by (A.) making the return entry point not next to the exit point and (B.)because regular boxing (working each side into the center) to negate tight turns will eventually lead to tight turns anyway as you approach the center. Now of course with Cubs and small tractors tight turns aren't too big of an issue, but if you've got a big mother-tractor and very little endspace on the fields its a Godsend.

Back on main subject:

There really is no answer, its all preference of the farmer.

I guess in the end a 2 12in bottom is better than a 1 16 bottom, especially if you don't care about a dead furrow.

I feel like you Cub guys should have an experiment during one of your Cubfests :lol:

Your drawing is basically what I described, but it is impossible to plow exactly like the drawing unless you're using a two way plow then why move over? (Drive your tiny imaginary tractor around the lines and think about which way the dirt is being thrown)
I wouldn't call your drawing box plowing either, to me box plowing is plowing all four sides. (Just a difference in definitions maybe?)
I definitely am beginning to agree that I think there is no right answer, and it does come down to preference (what the farmer THINKS is the best way to do it)
Maybe we can have plow races somewhere? Farmers used to have plowing competitions back in the day.

Return to “Farmall Cub”