update on 1949 cub build

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ncirelli
Zip Code: 06279

update on 1949 cub build

Postby Ncirelli » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:09 am

Hey its the kid who had the cracked engine block! Thanks for all the advice that was given. Just an update for those that are interested, all the internals for my engine are together. Periferals have been slowly going on. The engine is now mounted onto the torque tube. The only things left to put onto the engine are as follows: oil pick up, oil pan, starter, front pulley+fan, small hydrolic pump, carburetor, and main coolant intake. Also the front end (which consists of the radiator, fan guard, steering gears+wheel, and front axles +wheels) is all together and is going to be bolted on next week(hopefully) progress is slow because of the way my school schedual works but hopefully everything will be done soon. I may have left things out so feel free to point out mistakes and I'll double check things. Also I am open to any advice, tips, and tricks some of the more experienced guys have to offer!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: update on 1949 cub build

Postby Barnyard » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:44 am

Sounds like you are making good progress. Keep us posted as you go along. I'm sure the school superintentant will be pleased with the results.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

FarmallCubby1949
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 15059
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub (Rosco)
Serial # 68139
1957 Farmall Cub (Flash) Serial # 199918
1959 Farmall 130 (Bufford) Serial # 1507
1940 Farmall B (Uncle Jessie) Serial # 8696
1953 Farmall Super C (Sam)
Serial # 163814 J
1957 International 350 Utility (Tank) Serial # 8668 S
1946 Farmall M (Boss Hog)
1980 Wheel Horse Work Horse
2003 Sears Craftsman Lt
Woods 59 belly mower for Cub
Woods 59 belly mower for Super C
McCormick 1-F11 Two-Way Moldboard Plow for 130 (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub Two-Way Moldboard Plow (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub-38A Tractor Disk Harrow (Fast-Hitch)-(Cub/130)
McCormick Snow/Grader Blade for 130
McCormick Sickle Mower for 130

Postby FarmallCubby1949 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:53 pm

Ncirelli wrote:Hey its the kid who had the cracked engine block! Thanks for all the advice that was given. Just an update for those that are interested, all the internals for my engine are together. Periferals have been slowly going on. The engine is now mounted onto the torque tube. The only things left to put onto the engine are as follows: oil pick up, oil pan, starter, front pulley+fan, small hydrolic pump, carburetor, and main coolant intake. Also the front end (which consists of the radiator, fan guard, steering gears+wheel, and front axles +wheels) is all together and is going to be bolted on next week(hopefully) progress is slow because of the way my school schedual works but hopefully everything will be done soon. I may have left things out so feel free to point out mistakes and I'll double check things. Also I am open to any advice, tips, and tricks some of the more experienced guys have to offer!
Barnyard wrote:Sounds like you are making good progress. Keep us posted as you go along. I'm sure the school superintentant will be pleased with the results.
I'm one of the new guysw here too. I also happen to have a 1949 cub myself. What I can tell you is that these guys are great. I have learned so much from them already, and have applied that info to my cub. I also understand about having a busy schedural and trying to work on your cub. The way I work makes it difficult at times, but I'm determined to get mine back running. I'm in the process of rebuilding the carburetor on mine. I truely believe once I get that done, it should run great. I wish you great sucess with your 49. This is a brotherhood here. Cubs are the great tractors that link all of us together. All of us have great love and passion for these amazing little tractors. :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:57 am

As you are about to find out, it would have been much easier to mount the oil pick up and oil pan before attaching it to the torque tube. The 3 rear oil pan bolts are boogers to put in once it is bolted to the torque tube. Also do not put the water inlet and outlets on the block until the radiator is in place, it is much easier to slide them into the hoses then bolt in place than to slide hoses over them while maneuvering the front end around.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:52 pm

Also make sure all oil gallery screws are in place before any thing is in the way!
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Ncirelli

Postby Ncirelli » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:21 am

so the crank pulley is now installed. took us four class periods to get it on, lets just say there was a lot of frustration and unnecessary hammer swinging... before putting it on i didn't know it was infamous for being the hardest part of the rebuild and i also had no idea if there was any special way to put it on so me and a friend of mine lined up the key ways and then just used a 2X4 and a big hammer and tapped it on almost all the way. we needed to get the pulley to go in just a quarter of an inch more and no matter how much we swung our hammer (three class periods) we couldn't move it anymore at all. so finally, i did some research, mainly on this website, and came across a video of some guys using steel plates, a threaded rod and a pneumatic impact gun and they pressed it on in a minute. so this morning we quickly punched some holes in some half inch steel and cut some threaded rod and with my friend holding the plate with a huge pipe wrench and me using a 2 foot breaker bar the pulley easily slid on the last quarter inch. looking back i wish i had known about heating the pulley and sliding them on easily but its all a learning experience for me. next step is to order up a belt for the generator/alternator and then put the fan and belts on and then i think im ready to put the front end on.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:29 am

Be sure to oil the fan hub (read the owners manual) as soon as it is installed and before you put all on all the parts that surround it.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:30 am

Ncirelli wrote:next step is to order up a belt for the generator/alternator and then put the fan and belts on

Don't forget that you are NOT to turn the nut on the back of the fan as it is mounted to the front engine cover. The nuts seats in the cover and the bolt is tightened. Trying to turn the nut will result in breaking the flange on the front cover.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

Ncirelli

Postby Ncirelli » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:07 pm

Ya I noticed the thi g with the fan bolt and nut and I'll make sure to oil that. It's something small like piling a fan that I wold have forgotten about in my excitement to get this thing done. Thank for the advice and reminders.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:31 pm

I know it is a little late now, but you should not have used a hammer to drive the pulley on. The center main bearing is a thrust bearing and you may have damaged it. If you still have the pan off I would remove the center cap and roll that bearing out to inspect the sides.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ncirelli

Postby Ncirelli » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:58 am

Thanks for the advice. Haven't checked this in a while but I actualy just took the oil pan off last week to get it painted so I'll pull that bearing and take a look. Thank you!!