Cooling fan failure

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tubby Creek Farm
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cooling fan failure

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:58 am

My cooling fan failed and took out my radiator. Luckily The radiator unbolted easy, phew. I've posted some pics because I have some tech questions

It looks like the bearings failed worth fixing or just replace?

So next time some reminds you to check your fan oil, DO IT. Or here are the results if you don't.

Tubby Creek Farm
5+ Years
5+ Years

Re: Cooling fan failure

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:02 am

Another question. is there a manufactured part, to replace the bracket for the alternator in this pic? I mean the PO has nuts used as a spacer and its kinda always a little loose

Tubby Creek Farm
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:04 am

While I have it apart I plan on doing a little cleaning up, plugs, points etc but is there anything else I should be checking, doing

Dale Finch
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '55 Cub "Bertha"
'55 Cub "Ben"
'55 Cub "Bailey"
'56 Cub "Boris"
'48 Super A "Bubba"

Postby Dale Finch » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:25 am

Strongly suggest you chase all the threads of the bolt holes for the radiator with a tap, then blow them out. Otherwise you will, at best, not get the correct torque, and worst case, twist off the new bolts you are putting back in. BTDT!!

TM Tractors, one of our sponsors below, used to carry the bolt set.

Also, as you are cleaning things up, check the governor linkage for freedom of movement. Spray it liberally with your penetrating oil of choice. Also, check it for "slop". Now would be the time to change the spring, if needed. Sure is easier to work on it without the radiator on!

tst
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:30 am

The fan failure is probably due to lack of oil, the fan needs to have the oil checked and added to at least every few years depending upon use, you can take it apart and see how bad the damage is

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:40 am

Tubby Creek Farm wrote:So next time some reminds you to check your fan oil, DO IT. Or here are the results if you don't.
It's amazing how man y people let this go without doing anything. I am guilty myself at times.

Tubby Creek Farm wrote:It looks like the bearings failed worth fixing or just replace?

If you can get the parts you might be better off rebuilding it. Then you know what you have. A used one would be a lot cheaper, but you never know when it might go. It is a toss up.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

clintmo
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 26033
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub
55 Cub

Postby clintmo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:43 am

I think I'll be oiling the fans on mine very soon. :shock:

Clint

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:41 pm

Dale Finch wrote:Strongly suggest you chase all the threads of the bolt holes for the radiator with a tap, then blow them out. Otherwise you will, at best, not get the correct torque, and worst case, twist off the new bolts you are putting back in. BTDT!!

Also, as you are cleaning things up, check the governor linkage for freedom of movement. Spray it liberally with your penetrating oil of choice. Also, check it for "slop". Now would be the time to change the spring, if needed. Sure is easier to work on it without the radiator on!

Dale,
Define "slop".
I have my hood off now, had the generator serviced and decided to clean things up as well.
There is play in the governor - what is acceptable?
Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:14 pm

Peter, the lever that the governor spring attaches to may have enlarged holes. The rockshaft may be able to rotate a little before anything moves because the key or key way is wallered out. I think those are the two main places to find slop.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:42 pm

Peter Person wrote:There is play in the governor - what is acceptable?

You are striving for none. What you can achieve depends on how much time and effort you decide to put into the task.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

Tubby Creek Farm
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:29 am

Dale Finch wrote:Strongly suggest you chase all the threads of the bolt holes for the radiator with a tap, then blow them out. Otherwise you will, at best, not get the correct torque, and worst case, twist off the new bolts you are putting back in. BTDT!!

Yes, definitely plan on chasing the threads. The governor/throttle linkage is all nice and no play

Thanks

Tubby Creek Farm
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:33 am

Barnyard wrote:
Tubby Creek Farm wrote:So next time some reminds you to check your fan oil, DO IT. Or here are the results if you don't.
It's amazing how man y people let this go without doing anything. I am guilty myself at times.

Tubby Creek Farm wrote:It looks like the bearings failed worth fixing or just replace?

If you can get the parts you might be better off rebuilding it. Then you know what you have. A used one would be a lot cheaper, but you never know when it might go. It is a toss up.

Hey Barnyard, what about the new ones I see for sale at Steiners?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:07 am

I have no experience with Steiner's fan hubs, but a new one would be best if the old one can't be repaired reasonably.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:49 am

While you have the hood off and bringing things up to snuff, check where the cross shaft goes into the spring arm at the governor. If it has ANY play now is the time to fix it. It can be removed by taking out the two bolts that hold the mounting bracket on the left end of the shaft then sliding it to the left. If it only has a little play it can be fixed by a good cleaning and application of Loctite or JB Weld if you prefer. I have one that was so badly worn I cut a shim from a Diet Pepsi can and put in it. When I rebuilt it the second time about 25 years later I cut a new Diet Pepsi shim and also used Permatex Bearing Mount.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:11 am

Flush the engine block. Remove the accumulated crud from the bottom of and around the cylinders.

Where is the "slop" in the alternator? If the "slop" is within the alternator, a replacement alternator is inexpensive. I would go with the single wire alternator. It's a direct bolt in.
I have an excuse. CRS.