This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Do I have a problem?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 62960

Do I have a problem?

Postby ILCubFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:29 pm

I hate it when stuff like this happens. I was checking the antifreeze in my '48 Cub with one of those squeeze-bulb floating ball type antifreeze testers. The level was low so I'm really sticking the thing down in there trying to find the coolant. Next thing I know the little plastic hose portion of the tester has come off the end and has dropped into the radiator. At this point I can still see the thing and I think I can get it. Should have gotten the needle nose pliers, but that didn't occur to me until my first attempt failed and the little plastic tube (which doesn't float) had slid away and disappeared. So now it's probably dropped as low as it can into the casting the radiator bolts onto and I'm just wondering if it's likely to ever be a problem if I just leave it in there? I'm guessing it's about 3 1/2 or 4 inches long and it's that really small diameter tubing that fits on the bottom of the tester. Since there's no water pump on a Cub, it can't jam an impeller and I'm wondering if the circulation rate is fast enough to ever suck it into the block where it might get jammed in one of those smaller passages. I don't want to even think about how much work it would be to take the radiator off! I've considered removing the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the front casting on the right side thinking the thing might wash out, but I'm still trying to figure out if it's necessary. I've come to this forum in the past, but I think this must be my first post since I just registered. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Do I have a problem?

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm

You shouldn't have any problems other than possibly a couple of radiator tubes being blocked. The rubber tube you dropped is too big to get through the radiator tubes in the radiator core so it cannot get past the top of the radiator. It will remain in the radiator's upper tank until it deteriorates, if that even happens.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ILCubFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:55 pm

Hello, Barnyard. I appreciate your quick reply to my question. I've been trying to remember what the inside of a Cub radiator looks like and what comes it mind is that the bottom is open, so that's why I was afraid the plastic piece might get free of the radiator and start moving around. But I think I feel a lot better about it being trapped inside the radiator. With the number of Cubs you have I'm going to have to think you know what you're talking about! Thank you!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:59 pm

Here is what the tubes in a radiator look like. The top and bottom look like this. You can see your rubber tester tube will not get far.
radiator-core.JPG
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ILCubFan » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:09 pm

I stopped being too worried after your first response, but seeing the picture really helps me understand why this isn't as bad as I feared! Thanks for following up with that picture. :D

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:12 pm

Remember, there's two ways out of the radiator. It could make it down the radiator inlet tube to the head. This would be backwards to the thermosyphon flow. Don't worry though I don't think the little tube could ever make the corner out into the head from the hose fitting. It would just stand there until the next time somebody takes the upper outlet off.

I would go fishing with some grapple fingers and maybe a flashlight pointed into the radiator tank. If I didn't come up with anything I wouldn't worry about it.

ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ILCubFan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:21 am

Good point about the inlet tube. I'm going to have to hope that plastic tube has dropped below the inlet and will just stay there in the tank. What would be real handy right now is a grapple finger with a light and camera on it! :D

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:31 am

Scrivet has a good point. I never considered the possibility of it moving through the upper hose.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am

Since the normal water flow is out the upper hose as soon as the engine starts to warm, the chance of it going into the engine that way is slim, it would require something to push it into the opening and through it before it started down the slope.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:51 am

Since the flow is thermo-siphon and the tube is heavier than water it is going to seek the lowest point and lay there. There is not enough water movement to circulate the tube. It's just going to lay on top of the tubes. Should not create a problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ILCubFan » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks also to Scrivet, John, and Bigdog. Everyone seems to agree that I probably don't have a problem and that's absolutely what I wanted to hear. I'm going to do my best not to drop anything else in there! :thanx:

Puffie40
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1939 Farmall H
1959 MF 202
1965 MF 180
1937 Caterpillar 22

Postby Puffie40 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:05 am

Hardware stores sell cable-style pickup tools that would help in this scenario.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:12 pm

I bet if you drained the coolant down below the tubes you could see it and get it.

ILCubFan
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby ILCubFan » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:45 pm

The big problem with getting it out of there is being able to see it. It dropped off to the extreme right and totally out of sight. I tried a flashlight, but I need a way to see around the internal structure that's blocking my view. Draining it down to the tubes sounds like a good idea and I'll probably do that, but I've still got to figure out a way to get eyes on it. Once I figure that I'll look for a small, flexible claw of some kind like Puffie40 suggested. This is one of those things that's going to bug me even though it probably isn't going to do any harm. I just don't much like the idea of it being in there! Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:50 pm

If you don't mind draining the radiator, you might try a shop vac in the fill hole.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”