This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Willer's shifter fix - quick question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479
Circle of Safety: Y

Willer's shifter fix - quick question

Postby Clip » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:30 am

My shifter's lower cup has disconnected from the lever as described by George Willer, but his second picture shows his already brazed back on. On my shift lever, there is a weld bead below the upper cup. Does this bead act as a lower stop for the sprung upper cup?

Does the lower cup get welded back on in contact with the lower side of that weld bead, so the existing bead determines the spacing between the cups?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Re: Willer's shifter fix - quick question

Postby challenger » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:49 pm

I do not recall any bead on the shifter rod below the upper cup. It suggests to me that the rod was broken and welded and not finished properly. In theory, the spring should press the upper cup down on the tranny cover and pull up the lower cup against the tranny cover. Thus, the lower cup and the upper cup create a joint or socket with the the cover sandwiched between, firmly fixing the the shifter rod in the socket. If the weld prevents the upper cup from moving down freely there will be play and slop in the shifter. I would grind and finish off any exceess metal so the upper cup can freely slide all the way down to the lower cup on the rod, which will insure that that the two will completely squeeze the tranny cover when assembled.

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:50 am

Thanks for the reply, this looks like a very nice welding job if it's not factory. Will provide a few pictures for interested parties.

Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby Clip » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:12 pm

Here's the bead with the upper cup still in place. The lower cup has a very visible heat affected zone/bluing that matches the weld bead. I'll weld it back up with the lower cup stacked on top of the bead, and the upper cup on top of that. Thanks!

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:25 am

I do not believe there should be a problem, but make sure the ball on the lower end of the shifter shaft fits in and works smoothly in the two shifter fork brackets. It could be that the end shifter ball may now be too far down in the fork brackets by putting the lower cup on top of the bead. I hope this is not the case. Otherwise, the repair looks fine. Grease up the cup contact surfaces and the socket before install since no transmission oil will get up there for lubrication.

billsfarmallcub
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 29650
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub

Postby billsfarmallcub » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:11 pm

What is. The measurement between the end od the ball and the lower cup? Mine has completely come off and has been ground smooth. No evidence of where it was. Thanks.
Billsfarmallcub.

Return to “Farmall Cub”