support bearing driveshaft

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

support bearing driveshaft

Postby BigBill » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:11 pm

My fcub is a great running tractor. I enjoyed driving it. The Drive shaft cracked at the tranny bearing.
I purchased a like new drive shaft from Ralph. But my concern is to avoid this problem in the future. I'm thinking of adding a support bearing in the driveshaft tube. I'm guessing this is a weak link in the design? I figure to design a tube detention the attached to the front of the tranny. With a flange pillow block bearing support. I think there maybe just enough room to do this.

How many times did or has this drive shaft broke on you guys/gals? Is it a common thing?

I don't like to repair things twice if I can avoid it.

I'm going to remove the drive shaft tube to check the clutch and throw out bearing since its apart. I'm rebuilding the tranny and finals. It has a rebuilt engine.

I'm not painting anything till it's done. New paint isn't a restoration.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: support bearing driveshaft

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Off hand, I don't recall of another one breaking like yours did. Who knows what kind of abuse it suffered in the past. I think you are chasing a phantom problem.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I believe it's whole life has been used with cultivation on the farm.
Cultivating the corn fields.

It had a first crack around the outside. It was dark gray in color. The second and final crack was inside it was a light gray. That's when the shaft was in two pieces.

So it's a freak thing that happened.
I did purchase two drive shafts so I had an extra one just incase.

The pto shaft splines are worn but I purchased two complete pto's from Ralph too.

It's nothing that can't be fixed.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

challenger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby challenger » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I believe I may have read about one or two such cases on the forum, but they are extremely rare given the number of Cubs out there and the number of years use on them. It is always possible that the shaft may have had a latent manufacturing defect that presented itself after all these years. Perhaps the shaft was bent some during a prior removal, which caused it to then flex and stress fracture. Those who work on the tranny or split the tractor have to resist the temptation to use the long shaft as a convenient handle. In my opinion, if you install the replacement shaft and this one also breaks, you would go down as the most unlucky guy on the forum. Just say'n.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:59 pm

I seem to recall this discussion from awhile back. I don't think you are going to be happy till you put that bearing in the torque tube regardless of the answers you get. So just put one in there already.

In twenty years we'll have a mystery to solve when somebody else splits your Cub and posts pictures of the unusual drive shaft setup they have.

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44425
Tractors Owned: I own a 1950 cub demo, 1948 farmall cub, 1944 International I-9, a 1976 internationl cub, a 1975 international cub with fast hitch roleover plow and disc. a 1962 JD-440 dozer with 253 detroit, a 1952 JD-B, a 1979 international 3200 skid loader, a 1957 international S-160 truck, a 1929 Mccormic deering 10-20, a 1952 case S0 tractor. a pennsylvaning meteor rgarden tractor and sevrial cub cadets.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:26 am

I had one that broke in the same place BUT! The shaft came from a parts tractor that had been in a barn fire. The only other reason i can see your shaft could have broke is from it being bent at one point when someone replaced the clutch or removed the engine for some reason. There is no reason to install a bearing in the torque tube. The replacment shafts just like the originals do not run exactly true. Only the machined ends run true. I agree with Jim, your wasting your time.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.