This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gol Darn scrap metal thieves got me!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Re: Gol Darn scrap metal thieves got me!

Postby offrink » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:00 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
leerenovations wrote:I caught two people trying to steal a equipment trailer that was parked on the side of my bedroom. I put a round of 00 buck through their back glass. They drove off and caused a hit and run in the road. They were caught and had several earlier convictions for drugs, theft, assault, etc. AFter all that, they were given $100 fines and time served by a liberal county judge. The DA investigator said next time, I should just kill them; and that it would save everyone a lot of time and headache. But after that, I have had nobody approaching the house. Even all the salesmen that stopped by quit stopping by. I guess word got out that I wasnt a man to be messed with and Im OK with that.

You're lucky that you live where you do. If that happened up here in the liberal Northeast, you'd be in jail and the thieves would be walking the streets. They'd probably even sue you and get the trailer, your vehicle and your house in settlement.

That's if your lucky! You would get like 15-20 years prison for endangerment, reckless discharge, attempted murder, ect...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Randy Tuura
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55733
Tractors Owned: 1949 FCUB

Postby Randy Tuura » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 pm

That's too bad...
And it's too bad that most preventive remedies require someone to be home at all times.
I heard of a guy installing one of those old gas station bell ringers across his drive to alert him if anyone pulled in.
He used to lose fuel...
Randy
Machinist since 1973
15 years in the toolroom with Tool & Die Maker experience

hoosier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37075

Postby hoosier » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:52 pm

What I don't understand is thievery is so labor intensive. My father and I owned a tool and die shop and had quite a bit of equipment hauled off. Just as they were loading up the Nashville Police caught them. For what they had stolen they wouldn't have made $5.00 an hour. They were convicted but it took my dad and I 13 trips to court to get it done. The case was thrown out one time because the thieves didn't show up. I have always said that if a judge lets someone off they should be turned loose at the end of the judges driveway. Liberal judges as well as conservative.
Just my two cents.

offrink
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Postby offrink » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:30 pm

I worked with a guy who stole railroad track that was getting decomissioned. They, him and a buddy, had about 5 in the back Of their truck and were loading more when the cops cought them. Took them to the police station and made them unload the track. Locked them up over night and in the morning made them load them back up and put them back. He said that was the last time he stole anything.

It's just not worth it.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Reputable scrap yards won't (it's illegal) buy any railroad associated metals.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 pm

Oklahoma is pretty good about defending a persons right to protect life and property. Ive been trained and worked as a police officer so I know the laws and how to stay withinh the laws. Here in Oklahoma, we have a lot of criminals that get killed by homeowners as they committ a crime. The DAs never convict because they know they would be out of a job as soon as elections come around. IF you are afraid of the lwas in your area, then you need to vote in the right people and make sure they know that yuou are fed up with the crime.

My dad had about 10 miles of decommed track on his farm. The railraod company told him he could have it just as long as they could use it in the future if they decided to. He used the old ties and left the rail laying on the ground. As they decommed all train service in SE Oklahoma, Im pretty sure noone will ever use it.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 am

leerenovations wrote:My dad had about 10 miles of decommed track on his farm. The railroad company told him he could have it just as long as they could use it in the future if they decided to.
Iowa and Missouri use some of the decommissioned railway right of ways as biking and hiking paths. Different type of businesses have been established at old rail stops to accommodate hikers and bikers, providing some economic support to the towns.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:15 am

Eugene wrote:
leerenovations wrote:My dad had about 10 miles of decommed track on his farm. The railroad company told him he could have it just as long as they could use it in the future if they decided to.
Iowa and Missouri use some of the decommissioned railway right of ways as biking and hiking paths. Different type of businesses have been established at old rail stops to accommodate hikers and bikers, providing some economic support to the towns.

A lot of farmers along that trail in Mo. are still fighting it. The original deeds stated the property was supposed to revert to the farmers if it was no longer a railway. There is a lot of problems with people leaving the trail, abandoning their trash, trespassing in people's barns, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:A lot of farmers along that trail in Mo. are still fighting it. The original deeds stated the property was supposed to revert to the farmers if it was no longer a railway.
Same thing in Iowa. Railroad is stating that they have not abandoned the rail way. Just not utilizing the right of way and the rail bed. Farmers have planted crops in the "abandoned " right of way only to run afoul of the railroad.

Back at the ranch. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... -under-co/
I have an excuse. CRS.

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 pm

The last rail service that we had in our area was probaly in the 60s. I dont know why they dont still have them, it seems like a btter way to transport items and saves fuel and larger loads. All of the old crossing shave been asphalted over and the old signals have been stolen and scrapped. I only know of 2 ACTIVE freight lines than run in Ok. But we also have an amtrak that runs from OKC to Dallas. Bu they run in the red every year because noone utilizes it. Its sad that young kids no longer have the enjoyment of smahing pennies on the train track. But also makes me wonder how many valuable pennies I smashed on the tracks.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:02 am

3 S's. In this area the coyotes are pretty hungry and pick a carcass clean in no time.

Kirk

Return to “Farmall Cub”