The Photohost and CubFest.com

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

The Photohost and CubFest.com

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:08 pm

As most of you know by now, I have taken over handling the photohost. All Photos used on the Cub forum will be retained so we won't see red X's in many posts. The How To forum alone risked losing hundreds of important photos. Many of the photos have been used over the years as a learning tool. Losing those photos would have meant many of the posts on the forum would have been confusing to new members seeking information.

In the coming months I will be looking over the entire photohost and deleting users who have not visited the photohost in quite awhile AND have never uploaded a photo. So far I have identified 250 users who fall in this category. With total users being close to 750, you can see that over a third of them have never taken advantage of the site. Later I will check users with only one or two photos and see if they can be deleted also. Hopefully this clean up will unclutter the site somewhat.

Rest assured, if you have photos on the photohost, your pix will remain. I only plan to clean up old files that have been inactive for years and do not affect the integrity of the forum.

What many don’t know is that the photohost was hosted on http://www.cubfest.com. Cubfest.com was little used and was never totally completed. The site was mainly used to host the photos. I am working on changing that. Over the last few days I have been building new pages and replacing all old pages. Beginning today you should see a revamped cubfest.com. The site will be for CubFest information and links only.

Hopefully the site will help get the word out about CubFests and also give more exposure to farmallcub.com

Check it out at http://www.cubfest.com
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

FarmallCubby1949
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 15059
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub (Rosco)
Serial # 68139
1957 Farmall Cub (Flash) Serial # 199918
1959 Farmall 130 (Bufford) Serial # 1507
1940 Farmall B (Uncle Jessie) Serial # 8696
1953 Farmall Super C (Sam)
Serial # 163814 J
1957 International 350 Utility (Tank) Serial # 8668 S
1946 Farmall M (Boss Hog)
1980 Wheel Horse Work Horse
2003 Sears Craftsman Lt
Woods 59 belly mower for Cub
Woods 59 belly mower for Super C
McCormick 1-F11 Two-Way Moldboard Plow for 130 (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub Two-Way Moldboard Plow (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub-38A Tractor Disk Harrow (Fast-Hitch)-(Cub/130)
McCormick Snow/Grader Blade for 130
McCormick Sickle Mower for 130

Re: The Photohost and CubFest.com

Postby FarmallCubby1949 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:47 pm

I would like to upload some photos, but when I tried I had a problem, and I'm not sure why. I took pics of my cub with a digital camera, and uploaded them to my computer. When I tried to upload them to the site it wouldn't let me. I don't know if it was the size of my photos, or what the deal was. My schedual is very busy, and in the process of all of that I forgot about it, but seeing your post here reminded me to ask how to got about putting some pics on here. :help: :thanx:

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:55 pm

I don't know enough to tell you how to fix it, but I never liked the old photo host. It took too many steps to upload pictures. I'd like to see something where you just select the pics on my computer and drag them over to the photo host and done. Not sure if that is possible or not but food for thought. Either way I am glad it's being saved.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:00 pm

FarmallCubby1949 wrote:I would like to upload some photos, but when I tried I had a problem, and I'm not sure why.

The photohost log does not show you as being registered. Have you done that? I can work with you on it.

Super A wrote: I never liked the old photo host. It took too many steps to upload pictures.

I agree! I am looking into some upgrades, but I'm not sure if it can be done with the software used. Upgrading with a different software may change the address of all the photos, which would then create the X's we are trying to avoid. For now we will need to live with it until I can find a viable solution. When will that be? At this point I have no idea. I am at a learning stage with the software as well as moving around the web host providers site. I've pretty much figured the last part out.

Super A wrote: Either way I am glad it's being saved.

Yes, that was the main reason for the take over. John never had time to work on it as much as he would have liked. I have a bit more time, so time will tell. The photohost may never improve but I plan to save the pix.

All I can ask right now is to bear with me.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:24 am

Thanks for all your work, BTDT. Stan

Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:32 am

Bill, glad to hear you're doing this. I concur with SuperA that the PhotoHost always seemed a little too cumbersome to operate. If something could be done in simplifying it, then that would help considerably. But since don't know all the in's and out's of it, I'll just leave it at that.

Thank you for taking this on, Bill.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:59 am

I dunno, maybe it's because of my IT background and computer experience, but I never found the photo upload process to be particularly troublesome. Just follow the steps. Once you've done it once, you'll wonder why you thought it was such a problem before.

Like Barnyard said, upgrading will almost certainly break all the hundreds/thousands of links to pictures out there.

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:10 pm

One thing to remember is to re-size your pictures before trying to upload them. 640 X 480 is an ideal size for posting to any internet site. The photohost site will accept this size readily. It also allows you to have more pictures in your gallery because they take up less storage space.
I agree that if you use the host by following the instructions listed the learning curve is easy and once you have it down you will wonder what the problem was.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:27 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:I dunno, maybe it's because of my IT background and computer experience, but I never found the photo upload process to be particularly troublesome. Just follow the steps. Once you've done it once, you'll wonder why you thought it was such a problem before.

Like Barnyard said, upgrading will almost certainly break all the hundreds/thousands of links to pictures out there.

The problem was there were so many steps. Heaven help you if your computer hiccupped.....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm

I've never understood the need for the photohost but maybe I'm missing something. If the pic is on your computer you can just use the upload attachment option when you post. Unless the forum loses everything, it should always be there. test
Attachments
bwcub.jpg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:42 pm

I don't think many people are understanding the reason for my initial post. This isn't about getting anyone to use the photo host for the forum. Nor did I intend for it to be a debate over it's good or bad points. I only posted this to let everyone know the photos will remain on the forum and if improvement can be made I will try that. The photo host may disappear once all photos now used on the forum are moved. I agree with uploading with attachments if the sole purpose is to share on the forum, that is what I do. If you plan to share with other sites, or just want an online storage spot then the photohost works okay.

I also thought it would be a good time to explain that the photohost address is http://www.photos.cubfest.com which many did not know. That site is a sub directory of http://www.cubfest.com. Both sites are required to keep the photohost up to preserve the forum photos. I think http://www.cubfest.com will help capture more Cub owners and steer them toward farmallcub.com

This photo was uploaded using the forums attachment method. it has a nice clean look to it just as if were loaded from an outside source.

harley.jpg

Circle of Safety

indy61
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby indy61 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:02 pm

I can see where a larger photo can be useful (without clicking on it) like in a how to post but usually a smaller clickable pic is better to save space.
corncub.JPG

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:03 pm

Would it be ok if people went in and deleted stuff off their albums that have no more relevant purpose?

Bigdog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:03 pm

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:Would it be ok if people went in and deleted stuff off their albums that have no more relevant purpose?

That is not a problem if the photos are not linked to a post.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 pm

Marion(57 Loboy) wrote:Would it be ok if people went in and deleted stuff off their albums that have no more relevant purpose?

Marion, like Bigdog said, it is okay if they are not linked. But if any of the pix have been posted to the forum, we ask that they remain or else they will disappear from the posts. The reason we have kept the photo host is so this doesn't happen.

Circle of Safety