This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

throw out bering lubrication?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 33597

throw out bering lubrication?

Postby jptpope » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:38 am

How and where is this ? I removed the clutch access hole to grease fitting? where is the throw out bearing and how do you lube it thanks jt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: throw out bering lubrication?

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:18 am

What model/year? OEM tractor has a carbon disc mounted in a metal housing about 3 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick encircling the drive shaft. When the clutch petal is depressed it connects with the fingers (levers) of the clutch assembly. Lube point is a zerk fitting on the lower outside edge of this disc. If you can't find the fitting, it might have fallen out or someone might have installed the TOB with the fitting on the top. The link is to TM website showing a picture. Note this is for a FCub or Cub LoBoy not a number series Cub.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/378fp.htm
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 am

Thinking I answered the same question a day or two ago.

Sheet of card board on cement, under torque tube. Remove hand hole cover. Flash light in one hand grease gun in other hand. With light you should see the grease zerk on the bottom of the throw out bearing. Two shots of grease should do it.

There is a search function, top of page.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:03 am

Also, You want to use a cheap grease (low temperature range) so it can break down and seep through the graphite to the contact surface. There is a small weep hole on top of the TOB that lets you know when it is full.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 am

As seen up through the hand hole (arrow points to grease zert):

As seen when tractor is split:

Both pics found here on farmallcub.com.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm

jt,

Can I suggest that you spend some time reading the Operator's Manual that is in the links posted at the top of this page under either "PDF Manuals" or "Rudi's Manuals"? Choose the one that is closest to your model year. The answers to most common questions can be found there.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jptpope » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:02 am

I will read this (I am still working ft job) and I teach a Bible school class that takes a lot of time prepare for . Thanks for all the suggestions ,my cub is coming along good just a few more small items to fix., then painting it! Really fun talking to guys that enjoy old neat stuff jt

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:19 am

Some of enjoy old stuff that isn't always neat. :) :) enjoy your Cub and come back often.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:10 am

You did not say what year the cub is, but if you have one of the early ones that has the pedal adjustment inside the torque tube rater than on the pedal, one of these is very handy.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0361189383

The end is inserted into the end of the fitting to push the ball back and then you pump the grease in. Most auto parts stores sell them, but frequently have to order them rather than stocking due to the low number they sell. There is another one on the site, but this one will snap onto a grease gun and lock, rather than having to remove the existing chuck.

Note, this is a different unit than the hypodermic injector many of us have for squirting grease into bearings when packing them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

jptpope
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby jptpope » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:05 pm

mine is a 1950 model year., I greased the fitting today I need to get a dust cover for it and the rt side lower wheel needs oe. I have the needle for the grease gun works well thanks for the info jt(write anytime I will respond when I can thanks)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:00 pm

The right final drive does not have a dust cover, the shaft with the flat sides is the planter drive, and is supposed to show.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”