This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Valve adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Valve adjustment

Postby kinelbor » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:03 am

How do I adjust the valves? It looks like I need a 1/2 and 7/16 wrench to turn it, but they dont seem to turn.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:24 am

Those are the two wrench sizes you will need. The adjusters are very difficult to turn at first, but will get a little easier the more you turn them. The exhaust and intake valves should be adjusted to .013. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:01 am

It's kind of close, but as Bud said, you can do it. The bottom can be truned to, not just the top nut.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kinelbor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04762

Postby kinelbor » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 am

I guess it is supposed to be tight so that they stay to the right gap. Sounds good thanks.
Nik - 1948 Farmall Cub

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:34 am

heat them with a torch if they won't budge with normal force. it's a little messy because you usually will set the grease on fire, but it's way better than snapping an adjuster. :)
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Cub-Bud wrote: The exhaust and intake valves should be adjusted to .013. 8)

Where does that spec come from? I posted a question on what the valve lash spec is and was told .013, however my IT manuel say's .015.......
This mourning I set them all to .015 using two 1/2" wrenchs, they where all tight but not real tight and the valve gaps where also tight at .07

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:52 pm

I have an I-T manual that I never look at anymore cause they seem to give out a lot of wrong information. I set mine at 13 as it states in the "CUB" manual and it runs fine. :P
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:58 pm

Jackman. setting them .002 looser won't hurt anything, but setting them tighter than the IH manula calls for (.013) can cause poor performance, burned valves, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Something is wrong here guys.

Where did the .007" inch gap come from?

I don't think the valve gaps are set correctly.

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:58 pm

Eugene wrote:Something is wrong here guys.

Where did the .007" inch gap come from?

I don't think the valve gaps are set correctly.

Eugene

.007" is, as you know, the minimum for the ring end gap. I can't think of anywhere else it would be used.

The number I couldn't understand was .07 used in conjunction with valve adjustment???

Valve adjustment should be as close as possible to specs. It's often overlooked that this is the only way for them to be timed correctly. Increasing clearance causes valve duration to be decreased... opening (slightly) later and closing (slightly) sooner.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:10 pm

To add to what GW said, sloppy valve adjustment also reduces valve lift which makes for reduced efficiency.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:43 pm

Sorry for the confusion, the .07 was where the valve lash was before I adjusted the lifters I assume they tighted up due to valve seat wear a couple where even tighter than.07,,,,, anyway they are all set at .015 but I will tighten them up to .013 in the AM.... I am not at all satified with the IT manuel I bought it 10 years ago from Central tractor, I need to get a more acurate Cub manuel.....

Thanks Jack

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:06 am

Jackman wrote:Sorry for the confusion, the .07 was where the valve lash was before I adjusted the lifters I assume they tighted up due to valve seat wear a couple where even tighter than.07,,,,, anyway they are all set at .015 but I will tighten them up to .013 in the AM.... I am not at all satified with the IT manuel I bought it 10 years ago from Central tractor, I need to get a more acurate Cub manuel.....

Thanks Jack

I see now! The number given (.07) is taken by most of us to mean 70 THOUSANDTHS, as that's what the decimal means. Now that we know you meant .007" it makes sense. Valve clearance usually decreases due to wear. I think your engine will be happier at .013".

Under heavy load and high RPM the valve stem can actually expand enough to use up that small clearance and the valve won't close tightly. Don't ask me how I know! I'll just tell you experience.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:21 am

jack:

The problems you are experiencing with your I&T Manual is one of the reasons why I post my Welcome Spiel as often as I do... I have bolded the pertinent comments.

Also, there are others out there that are really not very helpful and cost a lot of money. JenSales is an example that comes readily to mind. Seems everybody wants to cash in on a good thing. Judging by the traffic in pirated CD's etc., there are a lot of inaccurate and low quality materials out there. That is why I always mention to get the manuals from Binder.

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub.

I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better is you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.
I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jackman » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:03 pm

.07 .007 :o sorry didnt mean to cause so much confusion I never have been any good at math thank goodness I am a much better mechanic..... George, I am sure Ill see some improved performance some of the valves were so tight that the valve couldnt possibly fully seat, I also found 2 wet cylinders (bad head gasket) and 1 very plugged exhaust port...... I cant wait to fire the Cub up and see the differance its just has to be better after setting things straight........ Hey Rudi, I am on a very slow dial up so I have not tried your links my patiance always runs out before the link opens,, any way you should be getting some mail any day now, if not send me a pm as I did not put my return address on the envelope

Return to “Farmall Cub”