A little road trip into Indiana pays off..

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

A little road trip into Indiana pays off..

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:51 pm

I saw an ad that showed a pallet full of Cub front wheels with tires mounted. The seller wanted $40.00 for all. Naturally I called for more info. The seller said there were about 14 or 15 tires and wheels and to come out and take a look. There turned out to be 15 rims, 14 of which had tires on them. Ten rims are in usable condition and about half of those had fairly good tires that held air. At that price I told the seller I would take them. Nearby was a hood that had some damage to the tank and needed a little cleaning inside. The guy said it was going on his scrap pile. Then he showed me another hood in better shape that he said was going to the pile too.

At that point I asked if I could see his scrap pile and he said sure. Next to his barn was a huge pile of iron that was about 25 feet in diameter and about 8 feet high. The only thing that caught my eye was a Cub that was a mess. I told him if I had my trailer, and if it wasn't buried under five tons of iron, I would probably talk him into selling it just so I could get the rims from the rear of it. He said if I need rims he had a set on the other side of the barn. Of course I would check them out. The tires were shot but the rims and centers were solid with only typical surface rust. After making sure I didn't miss anything I asked about the price for the two hoods and rear rims. He put a very reasonable price on them so I had to bring 'em home with me.

I love my Sunday morning rides through the Indiana back roads. Later today I have to travel some of Kentucky's back roads. I wonder what might be out there.

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

cub.bub
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 46628
Tractors Owned: 55 cub, 54a blade, (2) woods L59 mower...Allis Chalmers CA
1965 International 140, 60" grader blade.

Re: A little road trip into Indiana pays off..

Postby cub.bub » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:27 pm

Nice find!......I hope you didn't find it in my zip code? :x :lol:
I look in fence roads all the time and see old barns in poor repair that I would enjoy exploring.(with permission of course)
And looking on CL you see a lot of Farmall equipment for sale in Kentucky.
Enjoy!

Doodle
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH

Postby Doodle » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:42 pm

Ohio guy coming to Indaina over the weekend for Cub stuff while at the same time Indiana guy goes to Michigan for Cub stuff. Must be the "the grass is always greener" thing. :lol:

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

8) Wish I had one of those hoods!! Might keep me from having to weld a patch on the one I've got.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:12 pm

Maybe you Indiana boys need to start your own border patrol along the Ohio side.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,50,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs
1969 International Cub, and they're all running, working tractors.

Postby Harold R » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 pm

Wish I had one of those hoods!! Might keep me from having to weld a patch on the one I've got.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I believe I have a couple 3-rib hoods out in the shed that need to find a new home. I know they are not cut, and they've been out of the weather so the tanks should be good. If there's any interest, I can take pictures tomorrow. I'll post on the Vine when I get some time.

sdurnal
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow

Postby sdurnal » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:42 am

Hoping that wasn't in my neighborhood.. There's a guy in this county who parts out all kinds of old tractors, and some in running cond.. Breaks my heart... Glad you were able to salvage some "goodies" Bill!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:06 am

Stan, this was in Ripley County about an hour from you.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety