This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ownership

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Ownership

Postby Ricaroo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:24 am

Hi,

My 1958 Cub belonged to my father he purchased it some 20 years ago he gave it to me before he passed away 3 years ago. I would like to register it with a tractor plate, however they say I need a bill of sale or proof of ownership. I have no bill of sale and when my father purchased it years ago I don't know what he did with the bill of sale.

Any ideas
Thanks
Rick

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:31 am

If thats all you need and if I was in that predicament I would just have a trusted person/friend write me out a bill of sale. Or if your mother is still alive have her write you one. I have done it many times on undocumented papers with no problem.
Then came Bronson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:58 am

Bill of sale should be no problem.

Why do you want to register the tractor to get a tractor plate? Is this a state requirement?

First time you register a vehicle or trailer in Missouri the State tries to tack on state, and city sales tax. The only way out of the sales tax is to prove that you have previously paid the tax.

Eugene

Ricaroo
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ricaroo » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:02 pm

The local police requested that I get a tractor plate. I take the cub down the road for gas and mow a couple of places. It is no big deal, no tax involved. Keeps everyone happy

Rick

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:50 pm

Is this like the license plate for an auto?

Are golf carts, lawn tractors, ag and construction equipment required to have this plate to operate on or across roads?

What does the plate cost?

Is this an annual fee?

Curious

Eugene

Dutch
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dutch » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:15 pm

Come on over to Alton and I'll write a bill of sale for you if you write one for me I should probably get a plate if I'm going to buzz up and down the streets of Alton Or just tell the cop your mowing for the state !

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:05 pm

Ricaroo wrote:The local police requested that I get a tractor plate. I take the cub down the road for gas and mow a couple of places. It is no big deal, no tax involved. Keeps everyone happy

Rick

When you say "Keeps everyone happy", do you mean you are happier now that you have to get plates for your tractor?
It sounds to me like you are going to have to do something that should be unecessary to keep for being hasseled, I can understand why you would do it, but I would be very unhappy, and I would let the local elected officials know about it too!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:06 pm

Maryland has 'farm use' tags for trucks and such but not for tractors. Just need the big orange triangle on the rear.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:13 pm

Plates are an interesting question. In RI a farm plate (the correct one for a tractor) will only be issued to an entity that has farming income. Once you have one they are like gold (no inspection etc).

I could never find the correct rules for Maine..... try and catch the Cub once I kick it in 3rd!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:36 pm

I might ask someone else in "motor vehicle" about the need for a tractor tag. For the little that you say you use the roadway it would seem like maybe the local law enforcement officer may have hemorrhoids :shock:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Dale51
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dale51 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:04 am

Here in NY they want you to get a plate if you are not a farm.
Reason----
Insurance to get a plate you have to have ins.
Farm has Ins. that covers tractors on the road.

You are going to get gas & some body hits you or you hit them
now your going to pay probably be sued & so on.
I think you get the pic.
They don't push it where I live.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.

countershaft
10+ Years
10+ Years

Pennsylvania

Postby countershaft » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:15 am

only requires a large "orange" triangle be placed on the rear of the tractor when used on the roadways .
1958 Farmall Cub , 1948 Farmall Super A , 1950 Farmall Cub demonstrator (restoring), 1968 Wheel Horse lawn mower.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Pennsylvania

Postby George Willer » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:23 am

countershaft wrote:only requires a large "orange" triangle be placed on the rear of the tractor when used on the roadways .

Just a little story to interject here...

Some years ago Before I had a trailer to haul it on, I was transporting my TLB on the road. A state patrolman pulled me over and wanted to know where my SMV sign was. This was when they were first being used and I wasn't sure of the requirement, so I played dumb. :shock: He explained it was now a requirement for all vehicles travelling under 25 MPH. I explained "Yeahbut, I was going 27MPH!" His reply... "sorry sir... I didn't clock you and thought you were a SMV. Have a nice day".

Only on a good day could that rig get up to 13 MPH. :wink:

It probably wasn't necessary to have an SMV here either :lol: .

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:40 am

Dale51 wrote:......

You are going to get gas & some body hits you or you hit them
now your going to pay probably be sued & so on.
I think you get the pic.
They don't push it where I live.

Has Dale got a very valid point? Surely if you have a wheeled vehicle on the road one is obliged to have insurance?
If not for your own peace of mind isn't insurance quite a good idea if one is off down the road for gas or... Say a little girl of 5 runs out to retrieve her escaping ball from behind a parked car just as you come abreast. Q. are you able to stop in time to avoid hitting the youngster and precipitating her into the path of another car, thus killing or seriously maiming her for life?
Where does one stand then? Was it the fault of the child, was it your fault not being able to stop, the other car??? Lots of questions to ruminate on.
For my money, 'cause you aint got insurance, all the eSs Haich 1 Tea will fall on your head, perhaps for the rest of your life?
Another case, exhibitions, shows, another little girl visitor trips under your back wheel as you are passing by, no insurance????
That's enough of the doom and gloom, Over here in France one is obliged to have a registration document, number plates rear and front, Insurtance, full working regulation lights, flashing indicatord, a round 25 on a white ground, a 'Girophare' rotating orange light, brake lights, fenders on all 4 wheels..shall I go on? Oh yes and also a heavy goods vehicle licence to drive, not easy over here, I understand UK is also going down the same lines soon
Pat :cry: :cry:

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:18 pm

Hey Rick...Although no Tags (lisence plates) are required here in Tennessee to drive a tractor on any of the roads (EXCLUDING the Interstate) :D , I have Antique Vehicle Insurance on my Cub :wink: (and had it on my Farmall M too). :wink: It's a VERY GOOD IDEA IF...You're gonna drive your Cub on the roadways :D , OR you're gonna drive your Cub in a Parade! :wink: For 2 tractors and my 2 axel trailer it's $139.00 a year :D ...I call that a CHEAP PRICE to pay for peace of mind :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Return to “Farmall Cub”