This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub 3 cultivator question and disc plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clip
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 28479
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub 3 cultivator question and disc plow

Postby Clip » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:21 am

Found a Cub 3 cultivator close by, first time reading about these. Not sure if I should pick it up as I've already got a double disc harrow. Would it be used in place of the disc harrow to break up soil after plowing or to maintain rows after planting? From the picture it looks mostly complete but a little rusty, but then it'd match all my other equipment!

Edit:

Also looks like he's got a disc plow and some other stuff too. How does the disc plow compare to the 193?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Re: Cub 3 cultivator question and disc plow

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:57 am

IMO the Cub-3 is desirable enough that if you decided you didn't like it, you could re-sell it and maybe even make a few dollars. I had one for a while and I liked to run it over stale soil before I planted--in other words, the ground had previously been plowed/disked and had crusted over from rain, and had a few small weeds coming in that needed to be eliminated.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:25 pm

I'll second Super A's motion. I have the one he had and use it to break up the garden, then use the disk. They don't like trash, but in fairly clean ground, it works like a small scale chisel plow. I tried using it for the first pass on moldboarded ground, but that didn't work well, its not a spring tooth. But all in all, I wouldn't part with it, worth the drive to NC to get it. John

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Can't speak as to the Cub 3, never used one.
On the disc plow, I like them. With the disc plow, you can basically put it on tractor and be ready to plow. With the 193, if it hasn't been set up previously, can be a bit of a pain to set up if you're new to it. But I do like the pretty, straight cut the 193 makes. The disc plow will handle trash and roots better than the 193. And my favorite thing of all with the disc plow, you can see it in action right there in front of you! :-)
Thomas

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:26 pm

tmays wrote:...... And my favorite thing of all with the disc plow, you can see it in action right there in front of you! :-)
Uhhhh, not with a 151 or I'm mounting mine wrong :wink: :lol: I'm sure your thinking 152, but this may even be a 23A I've seen those referred to as a disc plow before. I've never used a Cub 3 but haven't seen anything they can do the Cub 23A can't do.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:47 am

Yep, Scrivet, when someone says disc plow, I automatically think belly plow :-).
Thomas

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15 pm

The # 3 field cultivator is a hot item to sell, but I do not like them ,almost useless in my opinion.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Return to “Farmall Cub”