This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Leaking Like A Sive!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
FarmallCubby1949
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 15059
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub (Rosco)
Serial # 68139
1957 Farmall Cub (Flash) Serial # 199918
1959 Farmall 130 (Bufford) Serial # 1507
1940 Farmall B (Uncle Jessie) Serial # 8696
1953 Farmall Super C (Sam)
Serial # 163814 J
1957 International 350 Utility (Tank) Serial # 8668 S
1946 Farmall M (Boss Hog)
1980 Wheel Horse Work Horse
2003 Sears Craftsman Lt
Woods 59 belly mower for Cub
Woods 59 belly mower for Super C
McCormick 1-F11 Two-Way Moldboard Plow for 130 (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub Two-Way Moldboard Plow (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub-38A Tractor Disk Harrow (Fast-Hitch)-(Cub/130)
McCormick Snow/Grader Blade for 130
McCormick Sickle Mower for 130

Re: Carb Leaking Like A Sive!

Postby FarmallCubby1949 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Scout: I had the exact same problem with my carb on my 49 Cub. The tractor tried to start even with the carb flooding out. It leaked out the bottom just like you described. It looked like a stream coming out of the bottom of the carb. My friend Matt is rebuilding mine, as with my work schedual and new property I picked I don't have the time to do it myself plus he can rebuild any carb on anything. I got a link here from Steiner Tractor Parts for carb rebuild kits. I bought the complete kit, Here is the link: http://www.steinertractor.com/Internati ... E8D71A6CA3 . I hope that helps you. :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

staninlowerAL
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1 is for parts), (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (2)154 Number Series Loboys, (1 is for parts), '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '47 & '49 Avery V, '53 MM BG (offset), '51 JD M (regular), '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76? Yanmar 2TR15 1500 & Bush Hog SQ42S-2 mower, '78? FORD Dexta, '86 FORD LGT14D & 48" Mower, (2)Cub Cadets & Mowers (MTD), (4) Sears Surburban's, other MTD mowers, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:44 am

Don McCombs wrote:Again, I feel that what you're experiencing with the fuel "leak" is perfectly normal. No cause to be concerned. Now, we have to figure out why the tractor won't start. It's possible, if you're just starting the tractor and letting it idle for short periods of time, that the spark plugs may be fouled. The other possibility is that the ignition points are glazed over from sitting for long periods. As for the first, clean or, preferably, replace the plugs. Be sure to check the gap before installing. For the points, remove the distributor cap and run a piece of brown paper bag back and forth between the points (some use a crisp dollar bill) to polish them up. Alternatively, you could run an ignition file, lightly, between the points. Check the inside of the cap for moisture while you have it off. There are other unlikely possibilities, like valves and timing, but let's start with the ignition first.

:Dito: You must have the ignition issues, if any, solved first. A quick and easy test of the points is use a test light and determine if the points are grounding when the engine is turning. With the points open (not grounded), the light should burn, with the points closed (grounded) the light should not burn. If this does not happen there is a problem with the electrical system before the points. JMO Stan
Stan in LA (lower AL)
USAF & Reserves, Reg ARMY, ARMY NG (AL)

raystractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37058
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub, 1952 Cub, 1970 Cub, 1975 Cub, 1953 Cub, 1939 A, 1948 super A, 1952 super A, 1950 C demonstrator, 1952 Super C, 1949 H, 1956 farmall 300, 1957 international 350, 1963 Massey Ferguson 35

Postby raystractors » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:24 am

With the addition of more information about you problem, it sound like you have another problem that has nothing to do with the carb. If the carb only leaks when there is a no start situation, then you may have an electrical problem. Follow the advice that some of the other members have given you first. Check for spark at the plugs before you take the carb apart.

DZitzmann
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10940
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
812 Gravely

Postby DZitzmann » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 am

Mine did that for quite some time. It turned out to be the spark plugs. Because it wouldn't start it would poor gas out the carb. I put new plugs in and starts in the cold every time with no problem. Also check that there is a good spark form the mag if it is a mag.
Regards

Scout
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10527
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (!)

Postby Scout » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:13 pm

Update:

Firstly, I appreciate all the advice, guidance and experience!

Choke arm is good, points are clean and so are the spark plugs (removed, cleaned a little carbon residue). No moisture inside the distributor cap. For good measure, I charged up the 6 volt battery too.

First I tried starting the tractor before opening the fuel valve as Denny Clayton suggested - no dice.

I opened the fuel value a bit, full choke and my cub fired up and started with the first try......and chugged along for about 10 seconds, then slowly sputtered out - but as it was running, I noticed some dark condensate (verified it is water), leak out near the base of the smoke stack.

Fuel leaked as before.

Its been cold here in the North East (teens at night, mid to high 30's today), so I suspect condensate is to be expected.

Carb re-build?

Scout
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem - Ronald Regan

Scout
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10527
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub (!)

Postby Scout » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:09 pm

Update:

Firstly, I appreciate all the advice, guidance and experience!

Choke arm is good, points are clean and so are the spark plugs (removed, cleaned a little carbon residue). No moisture inside the distributor cap. For good measure, I charged up the 6 volt battery too.

First I tried starting the tractor before opening the fuel valve as Denny Clayton suggested - no dice.

I opened the fuel value a bit, full choke and my cub fired up and started with the first try......and chugged along for about 10 seconds, then slowly sputtered out - but as it was running, I noticed some dark condensate (verified it is water), leak out near the base of the smoke stack.

Fuel leaked as before.

Its been cold here in the North East (teens at night, mid to high 30's today), so I suspect condensate is to be expected.

Carb re-build?

Scout

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:21 pm

Gas line, fuel system deicer from auto parts store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”