electrol cleaning

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784
Circle of Safety: Y

electrol cleaning

Postby jim turner » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:00 am

We had a discussion on here a long time ago about some of the new battery chargers won't work for the parts cleaning vats mine has quit and I need a new one what kind do I need?

Thanks in advance
Jim Turner

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: electrol cleaning

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:18 am

You need one of the older analog styled battery chargers.

I have a newer digital battery charger and have found that if the battery voltage is to low, it doesn't work. Reads bad battery. If i put one of the older battery chargers on the battery for a time to bring up it's voltage the newer digital charger will work.

You might want to diagnose the problem(s) with your old charger. Frequently they can be inexpensively repaired. I have purchased them at auction for a $1 or $2-, and found the problem was a broken wire.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:14 pm

The problems seem to be that the newer chargers look at battery voltage and adjust accordingly rather than charging at a fixed rate. Bad thing about them is if you run a 12 volt battery down below 6 volts, such as on a fencer, or leave headlights on, they will only charge to 6 volts and stop. For Electrolysis you need a manual (not automatic) charger. I would think that if you also had a battery connected, an automatic charger might work for electrolysis , but have never tried it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SouthernOutlaw
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 36736

Postby SouthernOutlaw » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 am

Jim, I do what Eugene does and check garage sales, yard sales. Walmart still sales analog battery chargers. John is also right in that you can use a digital type but you have to put a battery in line with the charger to make it work, but I have not tried hooking one up this way. I know of one guy who is using battery chargers from lap top computers with good results, but haven't had time to experiment With this either. One of my hobbies is restoring cast iron cookware.

jim turner
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64784

Postby jim turner » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:57 am

Thanks for the replies and that all makes sense to me, I went to my local farm store last evening and found a automatic/manual analog charger hope it will work, then I took Eugene's advice and tore my old one apart found a broken wire repaired it and it seems to be working at least it shows about 14 volts with my multimeter hooked to the charging cables. :D
Jim Turner

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:11 am

If you used a battery between your automatic charger and electrolysis tank couldn't you boil/overcharge the battery if the cleaning took longer than what it took to charge the battery? The automatic charger senses battery condition/voltage to determine at what rate to charge. The electrolysis is going to make the charger think the battery is low and keep pumping high volts/current even when in reality the battery is nearing full charge. The automatic charger would normally be dropping back on the volts/current for the last 10-20% of the battery charging.

Couple other thoughts;
Would you hook up the battery in series or parallel with the e-tank?
Would the automatic charger consider the e-tank a short (ed defective battery) and not charge?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:38 am

Hook the battery and tank in parallel. Depending on how the tank is set up and operating, it could take more current than the automatic charger is able to deliver. From my experience, something like a 15 amp charger should handle most configurations. If it kicks out, you can reduce the current demand by reducing the surface area of the anode.

As far as overcharging the battery, the automatic charger should respond to voltage and current demands and take care of itself. It shouldn't be any different than continuing to drive your truck after the battery is fully charged.

This is all speculation, based on having never tried to do it.