Cultivating and row spacing?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Cultivating and row spacing?

Postby Dieselrider » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:37 pm

What is the best row spacing to enable row cultivation with a cub tractor? Trying to get my head in the game for this spring. We are in the process of buying a 1949 cub tractor to use in the garden this summer. I usually run the planters for vegetables at 24 inches on center, but if the cub is basically a one row cultivating tractor, that spacing may not work as the cub wouldn't be able to cultivate rows that close together, or would it. Really having trouble getting my brain around this....cabin fever maybe. Do you have to keep your row spacing the same as the wheel width of the tractor? Wheels are currently 44 inches on center, about 36 inches inside and 52 inches outside dimensions.

Do any of you use your cub to cultivate? What row spacing do you use? Thanks.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cultivating and row spacing?

Postby Super A » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:48 pm

I straddle one row, with wheels on 44" tread. You could set the wheels to 48" and straddle two 24" rows. They made a two row veggie cultivator for the Cub, not real common now but you could probably fabricate something that would cultivate two rows at a time.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 pm

I have cultivated with cub, and its not good for fine veggies, like carrots/beets/lettuce/etc.--more suited to corn, real good on taters.--will work on cabbage, larger plants and the like!
Row width?? taters 72 inches both sweet and regular types , maters also 72 inches, sweet corn 38 to 40 inches all other crops a min. of 38 inches!---I give them room, but I have around 4.5 acres to space rows out.--also this lets me till in between the rows later as the plants get too big for tractor. thanks; sonny

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Been using 44" spacing for over 50 years.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:01 pm

Cultivated my corn last year in 30" rows w/no problem!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59,'71 Cub
'51 Super C
'55 Case SC
Fairbanks-Morse 3KW Generator
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coupe
'51 Ford PU
'55 Dodge PU
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:12 pm

The Cub-144 cultivator is intended for doing 1 row at a time. It is one of the most easy to find Cub implements. You can easily go down as low as 36" rows, probably a little narrower depending on your tire size. The vegetable cultivator can do multiple rows in a variety of widths. It just depends on what ground working tools you use and how you set them. The vegetable cultivator is fairly hard to find. But if you select your tools and work your way up, you can set things up using what is available. For one thing, you can get a straight tool bar and clamp it across the 2 sides of a 144 cultivator. If you plant in multiple widths, you may need to make some compromises if you don't want to keep changing your tooling for each different planting. For example, if you plant most things in 24" rows, set the tractor up with 48" wheel track and cover 2 rows at once. But if you also have a few things (like corn) that need a wider spacing, you may need to squeeze your track in a bit (like 44") and plant your corn a little wider than desirable, like 40" or 44", maybe even 48".

BY the way, keep in mind that to cultivate 2 rows at a time, you also have to plant 2 rows at a time.

Dieselrider
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16656
Tractors Owned: 1977 Cub 184 Lowboy
1979 John Deere 2640
2013 Kubota L3800 TLB
1949 International Cub

Postby Dieselrider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 am

Jim Becker wrote:The Cub-144 cultivator is intended for doing 1 row at a time. It is one of the most easy to find Cub implements. You can easily go down as low as 36" rows, probably a little narrower depending on your tire size. The vegetable cultivator can do multiple rows in a variety of widths. It just depends on what ground working tools you use and how you set them. The vegetable cultivator is fairly hard to find. But if you select your tools and work your way up, you can set things up using what is available. For one thing, you can get a straight tool bar and clamp it across the 2 sides of a 144 cultivator. If you plant in multiple widths, you may need to make some compromises if you don't want to keep changing your tooling for each different planting. For example, if you plant most things in 24" rows, set the tractor up with 48" wheel track and cover 2 rows at once. But if you also have a few things (like corn) that need a wider spacing, you may need to squeeze your track in a bit (like 44") and plant your corn a little wider than desirable, like 40" or 44", maybe even 48".

BY the way, keep in mind that to cultivate 2 rows at a time, you also have to plant 2 rows at a time.

Thank you Mr. Becker. This is the kind of info I was looking for. I have had a 1977 Cub 184 lowboy for years that we mow with but, this is my first adventure with the older styled cubs for garden use. We do several acres of vegetable crops for our CSA and market garden and we are hoping this tractor will pay for itself in labor savings with weeding among other things. A couple folks have mentioned the vegetable cultivator and the 144 cultivator. I found the manual for the 144 cultivator in Rudis very informative list of manuals on this site but, I do not see one for the vegetable cultivator. Is there one available so I at least know what parts I am looking for? If not, does anyone have photos of the vegetable cultivator? There are a couple places in the area that I can see what they have but, being as green at this as I am, I have no clue as to what I am looking for. I can start with a 144 Cultivator if the vegetable cultivators are not available but, by looking at the two, I may get some ideas as to what can be done to use one for the other, etc. Thanks.

tmays
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 39180
Tractors Owned: 1948 Allis Chalmers G
1947 Cub
1952 Cub

154 Cub LoBoy

Postby tmays » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:59 am

Look in Rudi's manuals for the 252 cultivator

Edit: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... ivator.htm
Thomas

Doodle
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 47923
Tractors Owned: International, Case IH

Postby Doodle » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:36 am

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=At ... cultivator

If you are going to make a two row cultivator, consider using Danish Tine. They pull lighter and will not throw large dirt clods as bad that bury young plants. They are light and only need a 2x2 tool bar to fasten to. They were popular in the 1970's for cultivating grain row crops. Should be able to find a donor row cultivator or field cultivator cheap somewhere to use for parts. They are a S tine so make sure used ones are not sprung badly. I would rather have a row cultivator instead of a field cultivator for donor parts because they would have been pulled much slower, hence less wear. Google Danish Tine cultivator and I bet you will get some ideas.
The design allows them to vibrate or shake as they pull through the soil so they are meant to go shallower meaning less root damage and better soil pulverizing. As I recall, they are made in two different heights. You would want the shorter ones.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "The Paperweight"
Cub powered IH 52R combine
Grandfather's 1948 Super A
White demo Super A-"Ol Whitey"
1950 Super A "Old Ugly"
1954 Super A-1
Buncha other junk

Postby Super A » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:22 am

What Doodle mentions is one of the options I was thinking about. If you have the basic 144 cultivator and some basic metal working tools (welder, torch, etc) you can come up with all kinds of stuff....

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
"It ain't a !@*% A. It's a SUPER A!"

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby welderrx » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:26 am

The last few years my Dad was alive we had pretty much switched over to plastic mulch "plasticulture" and it worked out well for us, I have a 2 row cultivator set up on an Allis C with 2 extra sets of tines and the tractor set as narrow as I can get it and the cultis are set like a wedge to completely cover the full spacing between the back wheels.I don't straddle the crops I plant 4 acres of pumpkins on hills with 8 feet between them and just keep it clear between the rows till the plants start sending out runners and by then they are bigger than the weeds anyway. I do prefer to do my row cultivating with an old David Bradley 2 wheeler I like the control it gives and setting rows is really quick plus compaction isn't an issue either. I mainly use the cub with the sprayer to keep fungus under control on the pumpkins than anything else. T.J.
52 Cub with fast hitch, 64 Cub Lo-Boy, 66 Cub Cadet 125, various fh attachments, pto sprayer, snow-dozer blade and Wagner loader

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:05 pm

A discussion some time back was hashing over using a Cub to control weeds in a row of grapes. This generated discussion of cultivators, tool bars and how they might be applied to that task. Here is a pointer to a post I made there. It has a couple ideas you can consider. Some of the other posts in that thread may be helpful too.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74351&start=15#p597273

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Cultivated corn in 30" rows last year- no problem!!
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59,'71 Cub
'51 Super C
'55 Case SC
Fairbanks-Morse 3KW Generator
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coupe
'51 Ford PU
'55 Dodge PU
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!