Rare Cub tool

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Rare Cub tool

Postby brewzalot » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:00 pm

I stopped counting parts today and got back to fitting the hood on my 61 restoration. After some frustration, I did some research and found a little known tool originally made by IH to eliminate scratching the paint around the air intake pipe when removing and installing the hood. It was tube, made of a papery material, about 12" long and 1 1/2" in diameter.
It was such a simple tool they never applied for a patent. The tool was only in production a short while before a company called Bounty stole the idea and used it as a base to wrap their toweling around. Very few of the originals from IH are around anymore, but the ones by Bounty seem to work just as well.

DSCF6009 - Copy.JPG

And that would explain why a cub tool box isn't very wide.
DSCF6012 - Copy.JPG

The original tool never made it into the parts book and I'm not sure if every Cub came with one, so I am not going to include it in my parts counting.

Tim

offrink
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 49316
Tractors Owned: 1954 farmall fcub, 1954 farmall super m

Re: Rare Cub tool

Postby offrink » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 pm

Mine came with this original tool too. I found mine shredded and packed in the wiring and throughout the engine bay. This must have been their way to break it down for convent storage.

Nice tip. Now how do you do that when the exhaust is super tight to the hood and drags?

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:47 am

offrink wrote:Now how do you do that when the exhaust is super tight to the hood and drags?

Fortunately for me both my tractors have underslung exhausts so I just have the air cleaner pipe to contend with.

But I would think if you can push your hood over just enough to get the tube in it can only help.The cardboard slides pretty good and is tougher than you would think. The air cleaner pipe does "give" a little so you could at least get one in there, and then concentrate on pulling the hood to the side to help around the exhaust. Installing the hood may be tad trickier, but then again it cant hurt trying.

I'm guessing your tractors hood, like many, were once used for trying to push over large trees.

Scrivet
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:06 am

brewzalot wrote:......I'm guessing your tractors hood, like many, were once used.........
Mine are still used and I'm not at all concerned about a paint scratch from the air cleaner or exhaust. I don't have anything against trailer queens, if that's what YOU want. I want working tractors.

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:04 pm

Scrivet wrote: I don't have anything against trailer queens, if that's what YOU want. I want working tractors.

Mine [url]will[/url] be a working tractor- it just doesn't make sense to me to do all that work painting it and then put avoidable scratches in it. But you're right, once its back working, in time it probably will not matter.

It was just a friendly suggestion-to each his own.

Tim

FarmallCubby1949
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 15059
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub (Rosco)
Serial # 68139
1957 Farmall Cub (Flash) Serial # 199918
1959 Farmall 130 (Bufford) Serial # 1507
1940 Farmall B (Uncle Jessie) Serial # 8696
1953 Farmall Super C (Sam)
Serial # 163814 J
1957 International 350 Utility (Tank) Serial # 8668 S
1946 Farmall M (Boss Hog)
1980 Wheel Horse Work Horse
2003 Sears Craftsman Lt
Woods 59 belly mower for Cub
Woods 59 belly mower for Super C
McCormick 1-F11 Two-Way Moldboard Plow for 130 (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub Two-Way Moldboard Plow (Fast-Hitch)
McCormick Cub-38A Tractor Disk Harrow (Fast-Hitch)-(Cub/130)
McCormick Snow/Grader Blade for 130
McCormick Sickle Mower for 130

Postby FarmallCubby1949 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 pm

You learn something new each day. It's neat that those tubes actually existed. I for one like working tractors. When they are restored they look awesome, but I like to be able to use them too. My B is a working restoration, it looks nice, but it can still work. My Cub and M still need to be painted, but they can still get the job done just fine.

leerenovations
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:07 pm

I just bought a 49 ford 8n and found one of those fancy tools stuffed in the air cleaner along with a huge dirt dauber nest and about 10 pounds of 60 year old solid oil.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.