This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Front main seal split

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
CraigKennedy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28430

Front main seal split

Postby CraigKennedy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:58 pm

Hey yall, I was wondering If yall can give me any tips about splitting my Lo-boy to replace my Front Main seal. The Seal isn't really leaking, but more of a small seep, not even enough to drip oil and its been in the same place for about a year. But its the only place that I have not had the tractor split and its taunting me, LOL. I know the radiator has to be drained, top and hoses removed, whole front and has to be unbolted and moved, engine supported, and engine set on TDC, and the Front pulley has to be pulled with a bearing seperator and two jaw puller. While I am that far in, I would like to replace the governor oil seal too, along with the governor rockshaft oil seal, and front cover gasket. How hard is it to remove the governor? I read on here to set TDC and mark the teeth on crank, governor, ect and put it back the way it was.
Any tips or tricks yall can give me is a appreciated!
Thanks Craig

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Front main seal split

Postby randallc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 am

If it were me, I would settle for being "taunted" for a while. Do some research on pulling and installing the front pulley. Some good information on here. The same with installing the governor. Mark the timing marks so you can see them easier when putting it back together. I don't believe you have to pull the front cover to replace the crankshaft seal at the front pulley, nor to replace the governor seals.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:58 am

I have tractors that some of the seals and gaskets "seep".

Cheaper and easier to occasionally top off the crankcase oil than to spit the tractor. Will wait until the tractor needs a major engine overhaul to replace the seeping seals and gaskets.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:10 am

Since I am a member of the "Been there done that club", I agree with the advice of the others. There is absolutely no guarantee that the new seal will stop the leak. In fact after all of your time and effort, it just may leak more. I would leave it alone, JMHO.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:49 pm

When the point is reached that the leak is intolerable and replacing the seal is being considered, try the oil stop-leak to see if it helps. I had a rear main seal at that point 15 years ago, used the stop-leak and all is still doing quite well. It is possible that stop-leak will make leaks worse but in the frequent instances where it helps, it is quick and low cost.
Last edited by Bus Driver on Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:30 am

This may work better then the bearing splitter
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:21 pm

I agree with the others - try the stop leak, and if that doesn't work, put up with being taunted. The front crank pulley is the most difficult part to remove on a Cub, especially if you don't have a real torch (as in not a propane torch) to heat it up. It can be done (I did it), but it is a PITA.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:46 pm

I tend to do things such as this as well. While It may be good to wait until major work needs to be done, I chose to remove the front and replace the front seal. I also used a speedi-sleeve on the shaft as it was worn a bit. It was not that daunting (save the pulley removal) and it leaks no more. Of course mine was much more than seeping, it was more like pouring.... :D

Steverakinghay
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 95963

Postby Steverakinghay » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 am

I recently bought a basket case super A? that someone has taken apart to restore. I've been trying to identify this tractor because the serial #'s are all different. (has two of almost everything) I need to replace the broken pulley, and this site is helping tremendously. I read advice to leave the front cover loose when installing the pulley so the seal will center on the pulley, which makes very good sense. Speedy-sleeve sounds like good advice as well. My new tractor has a water pump, so I'm thinking it may be an A1 engine? with no hydraulics.

Return to “Farmall Cub”