radiator support

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cublife
Zip Code: 80504

radiator support

Postby Cublife » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:07 pm

On my 52 cub, oil was leaking from the steering gear box, so I took the cap loose to replace the gasket around the steering column. When I lifted the cap the water from the radiator drained through that opening. Since the steering gear housing is part of the lower radiator casting, is there any opening between the two parts of the casting or has a break occurred between the two parts? I recently acquired this cub and don't know much about its history, but there was very little antifreeze in the water that drained out. Could water freezing have broken that casting?

On my 48 cub the intake valves seem to be stuck open (possibly due to ethanol in the gas). The exhaust valves seem to be moving as they should. Is there any way to free up the intake valves without pulling the head?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: radiator support

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Many steering gear boxes have water in them. Rain and condensation run down the steering shaft and gets past the seal at the bottom. Drain the gear box and replace with 80/90. Unless your radiator is running dry then I would rule out a problem there.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:56 pm

For the water draining out through the steering box, sounds like a freeze crack, although this would be the first one I've heard of that cracked in this manner.

For the stuck intake valves, if they are mildly sticking, you can spray penetrant into the cylinder through the spark plug holes and work them back down with a brass punch. You must use extra care because this is a good way to bend the valve. Also remove the tappet cover from the side of the engine and work them from inside that cavity.

Cublife
Zip Code: 80504

Postby Cublife » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Barnyard wrote:Many steering gear boxes have water in them. Rain and condensation run down the steering shaft and gets past the seal at the bottom. Drain the gear box and replace with 80/90. Unless your radiator is running dry then I would rule out a problem there.

You are right about the water collecting in the gear box, however when I put water in the radiator it drains directly out through the gear box. And not slowly, either.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Cublife wrote:when I put water in the radiator it drains directly out through the gear box. And not slowly, either.

Ouch, time to replace that bolster.
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt -

Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:For the stuck intake valves, if they are mildly sticking, you can spray penetrant into the cylinder through the spark plug holes and work them back down with a brass punch. You must use extra care because this is a good way to bend the valve. Also remove the tappet cover from the side of the engine and work them from inside that cavity.

I have used a wooden dowel or screwdriver through the spark plug hole after spraying the penetrant and rotating the valve with vicegrip needlenose pliers clamped on the end of the valve stem accessabe after removing the tappet cover.