This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oil pan removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oil pan removal

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:18 am

So far today, I've got the hood off, the air cleaner, oil breather cap, the line that goes from the air cleaner to the block, and those are going into a kerosene soak for the day.
My next project was to drop the oil pan and clean it out. I've got all the bolts removed - even those 3 unreachables in the back - and the pan has dropped about 3/4". At this point, there doesn't seem to be a way to get the pan completely off without removing something else - don't know what you call it, but it's the apparatus that the cultivator bars attach to. Here's a couple pics...

From the front.....and, shouldn't there be some nuts on those two bolts? That thin, shiny thing laying just above the thing with no nuts on the bolts is the pan lip....can't get it down any farther...

From the side....

Another thing I noticed today is the radiator overflow tube is detached from the neck, and looks like it was trying to hold on by a piece of wire....any suggestions on that?

Also, I oiled the generator via the 2 cups on it. I also oiled the fan hub....did it as the book said, but looks like to me, after I turned the hub with the hole pointing down, most all the oil I put in is now on the ground. Is this the way it's supposed to work?

OK, I'm gonna go do something else while I wait for some replies - ain't gonna do nothing else to the Cub till I hear from some experts. Oh, and if there is anything else I need to soak, clean, while the hood is off, let me know.....thanks a bunch!
Craig
1949 Cub 81987.
I can take it apart....problem is getting it back together.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:19 am

Craig, if you can't wiggle the oil pan past that cultivator bracket you'll have to remove it.
Now would be a good time to solder that overflow tube back onto the radiator neck.
Your description of oiling the fan hub sounds right. Unless the standpipe is broken off inside the hub the oil will just drain down to the top of the pipe and that sets the level.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:01 am

Thanks BD....I was afraid you were gonna say that. I just don't see any other way - it won't come out the right side because of the oil tube. I just wanted it confirmed by you guys that I wasn't missing something. As far as those two bolts, looks like they had nuts on them at one time, so I'm assuming they are missing.

Thanks again.
1949 Cub 81987.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:08 am

Just loosen the set bolt in the base and slide the square bar out.
Bigdog

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:53 am

Craig:

Yup, do as BD suggests. I install/remove my Cultivator setups all the time and usually takes about 20 minutes to do the whole thing. Course, I have had some practice at this now.. :roll: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:54 pm

Oh yeah...another thing I wanted to ask.....the tie rods....should I be able to turn those with my hands front to back? Not side to side, but if you are kneeling at the front of the tractor, and grab the tie rod, I can turn the thing maybe 1/2 turn backwards and forwards. The left one (standing in front of the tractor) is looser than the right one.
???
1949 Cub 81987.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:50 pm

While the tie rods will rotate a little. They should only move through the range of the ball joints. You should not be able to rotate them a half turn.
Bigdog

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:07 pm

Consider the fan and generator belts as long as you have the hood off. Also clean out the glass sediment bowl.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

paw's49
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby paw's49 » Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:11 am

Well everything went pretty well yesterday - actually surprised myself. She has a clean air cleaner now - that little line from the cleaner to the block was stopped completely up - my air compressor wouldn't even blow through it - reamed it out with a small piece of wire, and finally got the air to go through. The cultivator bar came out and went back in pretty easily, although it is a heavy lil rascal and sort of cumbersome to deal with. Oil pan dropped and cleaned, including the pickup screen. New gasket around the pan. Filled her up with fresh oil, as well as the air cleaner oil chamber. Soldered the overflow tube to the radiator neck - ain't a pretty job, but hopefully it will hold. Checked the belts - they actually look fairly new, so will leave them alone for now. Put the hood/tank back on and installed the new muffler complete with rain cap. Saved the best for last - got my new 1/2 20NF tap to do the threads to the carb. Ran it in about three times....no go. Had a spare fitting - it will tighten up fine by itself, but I guess the line fitting with the ferrule won't allow that fitting to get far enough in to grab the good threads. Went to Advance Auto and got some JB Weld - gonna try that today - yeah, took today off. Found out last night we are having company coming in from out of state this Friday so there are a few things around the house I want to get done before they arrive. According to Lurker Carl's write-up, that JB Weld has to set several hours, so I'll probably apply it today, but wait till maybe Wednesday evening to try attaching the line. I know if this don't work, it will be a helicoil next, right?
OK, gonna start weedeating before we get that 95+ degrees they are calling for today. Ya'll have a good week, and thanks again for all the help and suggestions.
1949 Cub 81987.

Return to “Farmall Cub”