Leaking Transmission Seal

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
snoman7c
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Leaking Transmission Seal

Postby snoman7c » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:40 am

I have fluid leaking out of the hand hole cover. Taking suggestions from this forum, I parked the tractor on an incline , drained and flushed the transmission. It remained dry through-out this past summer. Over winter it is leaking again. So , I assume it is the front seal of the transmission. Does the tractor need to be split to get to it? :( Thanks for your input !

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: Leaking Transmission Seal

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:53 am

Yes, it has to be split.
Is the transmission possibly overfilled with water? If the cub was left outside, this is a possibility.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Can you determine if the leak is hitran/gear oil or engine oil? Don't overlook the possibility that the rear engine main seal could be leaking. You can replace it and get the retainer machined for the upgraded seal for about $50 total parts cost. Search the forum for details or contact forum member tst.

snoman7c
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby snoman7c » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:26 pm

Had a total engine rebuild a few years ago by an I H Dealer. certainly hope rear engine seal would last longer than that. When I parked Cub on an incline, fluid almost poured out of inspection hole. I looked inside the torque tube with a mirror and saw nothing wet to the front of the hand hole. The Cub is always in my garage. :?

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:58 pm

A leaking rear engine seal would most likely drip/run out the flywheel cover, since the hand hole is further from and higher than the flywheel cover.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

challenger
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:45 pm

If the tranny gets full of water, it will leak out the tranny front drive seal when the tractor is on an incline, front of tractor lower than the rear. I bought one that had been sitting outside and while winching it up on the trailer, rear end first, water/oil poured out of the inspection hole. If the tractor was left out in the rain and did not have a seal installed on top of the cup on the shifter stick, my guess is your tranny has taken on water again.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Since you keep it in the garage, I think we can rule out rain as a water source. They are prone to building condensation as the transmission gets warm in use, but not hot enough to drive off moisture, so the cooling and condensing process is additive.

In 1951 IH used the best seals available- made from rawhide by Chicago Rawhide. They were big chunky things with an impressive number of parts inside each seal. I pulled an axle seal once and all these pieces came out one after another. Went in to install the new seal and it wouldn't fit! MORE pieces of seal needed to come out! The point I am making is what you have for seals are a few generations of development obsolete. Time for a change. You make need to replace the input bearing too. The original roller bearing rolled directly on the induction hardened driveshaft. For the early gearboxes, which you have, there is a very slick sealed bearing fix that saves you the $100 expense of a new drive shaft. I know I am skipping ahead, but the hip bone is connected to the thigh bone.....

It is not a bad job with a decent splitting stand.

Rear main seals have been a problem for some years. The seal that IH supplies can be loose in the housing, plus the housings are prone to warping. I did buy a new housing that was expensive, but worked with a nice crush fit. Others can go in with your fingers and gluing them works until the warranty on the job is up.

Farmboy560
Zip Code: 46239

Postby Farmboy560 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:48 am

I'm new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to ask this but I need to get a new rear main seal and in all the posts it says 'contact forum member tst'. What is tst? Who do I need to contact and how do I do it?
Jared

snoman7c
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby snoman7c » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:09 am

After placing a pan under tractor for a few days, the fluid is definitely Hy-Tran. Thank you Bob for the great info. I was not aware of that! :o

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:36 am

Farmboy560 wrote:I'm new to the forum so I hope this is the right place to ask this but I need to get a new rear main seal and in all the posts it says 'contact forum member tst'. What is tst? Who do I need to contact and how do I do it?

TST is a user name, like Farmboy560. Since you are new to the forum, you can't send a PM yet so I sent you one with Tim copied. Check your inbox. He does a nice job straightening seal housings and machining them for a different seal that presses in nice and tight. Unmodified seal housings can have a very loose fit on seals that leak between the housing and the outer rim of the seal.

54farmallguy
Zip Code: 49646
Tractors Owned: 1954 Cub 1944 Farmall A

Postby 54farmallguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:55 pm

I have the same problem with my 54 cub. since it has happened I realized it was my fault, because like a dummy, I just filled the trans all the way up to the fill hole in the shift cover. it was already leaking slowly and the extra pressure just blew it out. the things we learn with our first tractor! ha ha ha ha

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:57 pm

54, you reminded me of something that happened to my father in law. He had 7 children, and about 45 years ago he had a 2 or 3 year old 6 cylinder Chevrolet truck, and like most of them more than a couple years old it burned a little oil. He was always telling the family to be careful and not let it run out of oil. One day 2 of the younger girls took the truck to go shopping in a town about 15 miles away and about half way there it died and would not start. Remembering their warning about the oil, they checked and sure enough, no sign of oil so they walked to a country store about a mile away and bought 3 quarts of oil, walked back, and poured it in the truck. Still no sign of oil so they walked back again and kept on making the trip until they carried enough oil to fill the 6 cylinder all the way to the filler cap on top of the valve cover. It still didn't start.! A neighbor happened buy and took the girls back out to the farm and when Mr. Bradley came in for lunch they told him the truck had quit, but did not mention the oil. He was trying to get his crops planted so he just called the local garage to go get the truck and fix it.

The mechanic towed the truck in and changed the points, then started it, at which time things got interesting to say the least. When those pistons in that engien started running up and down that oil needed to go someplace to get out of they way, and it did. It blew the filler cap off the valve cover, the crankcase breather off, and even forced enough oil up through the distributor bushings to blow the distributor cap off. Sure would like to have been a little mouse on the wall watching all of that along with the mechanic's reaction. Mr. Bradley drove that truck for several more years, but he said that was the only one he ever had that never rusted under the hood any. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

54farmallguy
Zip Code: 49646
Tractors Owned: 1954 Cub 1944 Farmall A

Postby 54farmallguy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 pm

ha ha ha that is awesome, me being a mechanic myself would have love to see the whole fiasco unfold!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:33 pm

snoman7c wrote:Had a total engine rebuild a few years ago by an I H Dealer. certainly hope rear engine seal would last longer than that.

You'd think so but apparently there is a well-known issue with the OEM seals, and they can fail in as little as a few minutes, to a few hours, to never. This is where the re-worked seal retainer from Tim (tst) comes in.

Not exactly sure what the issue is but I think it is with the fit of the seal in the retainer itself. That's what I noticed with the OEM replacement rear seal in my 1953, but it also came with a seal that fit the retainer much more tightly, and that one has been holding.

staninlowerAL
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 36558
Tractors Owned: Cubs: (3)'49's, (1)'52, (1)'57 IH Cub LoBoy w/FH, (1)'72 154 Number Series Loboy, '76 Longstripe w/FH, Mowers: C-22, Bush Hog 412, Pennington 59, Woods RM42CF, Woods 42, assorted FCub plows, planters, discs, etc. OTHERS: '49 AC B & Ind. Sickle mower, '61 AC D12 Ser 2, '52 8N, '56 Ferguson 35 Deluxe, '53 MM BG (offset), (2) '49 Avery V's, '56 JD 420C, with Blade and fire plow, '85 JD 850 (Yanmar) w/72" belly mower, '76 Yanmar 1500, Sears Surburban's, MTD's, Jeeps & other misc. "treasures"

Postby staninlowerAL » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Not exactly sure what the issue is but I think it is with the fit of the seal in the retainer itself. That's what I noticed with the OEM replacement rear seal in my 1953, but it also came with a seal that fit the retainer much more tightly, and that one has been holding.
There have been some posts about using a sealer to keep the seal from spinning in the retainer, others have resorted to staking, apparently neither is satisfactory long term. Tim, aka tst flattens the mounting surface of the retainer and resizes it for a seal that is pressed fitted to keep it from spinning in the retainer. So far, I've not heard any complaints about his work and I've used it myself. Stan