This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mismatched Finals

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44601
Tractors Owned: 55 Cub
67 Cub
45 JD A
Circle of Safety: Y

Mismatched Finals

Postby cub67 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:47 am

Last week I was crawling around my cub recording casting dates and my two finals have different years. I thought nothing of it at the time but now I realize that I have 2 different brake set ups. My right is cast year N(R5) which is correct for my 67 but the left one is cast year R(R2) so it should be from a 48. Other than driving me crazy is there a functional reason that I should go on the hunt of a correct one so my brakes are the same set up? I am going to try to remove them today.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Mismatched Finals

Postby Barnyard » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:53 am

They will work just fine as long as you have the correct brake rods for each side. With that said, if it drives you way too crazy, then you may want to swap it out to preserve your sanity.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:59 am

The later toggle brakes are a little more efficient. If you don't notice your Cub always pulling to the right (toggle side), then you don't have to do anything. However, the finals are cast differently and you can't just switch from the lever to the toggle style without changing the casting. Here's a link to TM Tractor that shows the difference with regards to the brakes: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gfi ... vecomp.htm

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 pm

To expand on Bob's statement about the braking difference, it will be more noticeable in reverse than going forward.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30134
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Postby Like-em-all » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:...Here's a link to TM Tractor that shows the difference with regards to the brakes: http://www.tmtractor.com/tm-tractor/gfi ... vecomp.htm

I realize that in this case the brakes are correct for the final vintages, but, could a late final be fitted with an early one piece brake? It appears from the TM photos that it could. I bring this up because I have a Super A with late finals, but have early one piece brakes. I have been looking for the late brakes to retrofit these, but this info may quash that plan. Ah, if there was only a good 'ole TM Parts website for the Super A.

Bill
"One Cub leads to another..." -- old International Harvester proverb.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Bill, You are correct. The later final can take the early band and rod, but not vice versa. It sounds like that is probably true for your Super A, but I don't know for sure.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

cub67
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44601
Tractors Owned: 55 Cub
67 Cub
45 JD A

Postby cub67 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:10 pm

So much for a "cheap" refresh on this thing! I know it never goes that way! Those un-matched finals are going to drive me crazy! Every time I look at it now my eyes go straight to the different size holes where the brake rods would come out! I did not notice any difference in the braking ability before...probably because neither side worked very well! Maybe I will put an ad out on the vine when I get them off the tractor and see if someone has one to trade!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:27 pm

It's a four hour drive to the Bash, but if you can make it, I should have one here we can swap out. I can look if you want.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”