Cam Gear

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Cam Gear

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm

I am using my laptop, and that picture is a little hard to see on it, even when I enlarged it some, and a loose pump gear was my first thought. It appears however, that the wear is all the way across the tooth, and loose pump gear normally works it's way toward the outer edge and runs there putting all the wear close to the edge of the cam gear. Or at least all the loose ones I have seen have done that. It makes me wonder if the hydraulic pump has been working under a load all the time, and maybe worn it's teeth and the cam gear's teeth. If that were the case, the Touch Control should be running hot though. Maybe a defective or wrong pump gear? My first thought was the bolts holding the pump were loose and not holding it lined up correctly, but if they are loose it should be leaking oil around where the pump bolts to the block. This gear combined with the valves wearing on one side, are beginning to make me wonder if this may be a defective or warped block throwing things out of line. Are there any signs of it having bee welded on around the left front?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

CraigKennedy
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 28430

Postby CraigKennedy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 pm

Boss, the TC pump has no signs of wear at all, and the idler, crank also show no signs of wear??? I wonder why exaclty the cam got chewed up? I checked the TC gear a hour ago, I held the gear with a pair of channel locks and a rag, and tried to tighten the gear and it was tight.

CraigKennedy
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby CraigKennedy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:29 pm

Guys I want to put this out there for future reference, because I'm not sure if I am first one to do this, or if I'm the only one that ever will. If you find metal shavings in your oil pan and your cam gear is worn, after a TC pump rebuild: you put the ******* TC pump gear on backwards. :shock: Thats what I get for using a blotchy drawn diagram and "assuming". :o
Well at least I'll know better next time, my stupidity is also my bliss, this time anyway... because I did want rebuild the motor anyway
Guys, thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it ALL!! and Maybe just Maybe I'll be known on this forum as the "Dumbass that put his TC pump gear on backwards" :lol:

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby bob in CT » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:41 pm

You are not the first to make a mistake, nor will you be the last. The important thing is that you figured it out and you can move on.

CraigKennedy
Cub Star
Cub Star

Postby CraigKennedy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Yes Bob, This is a mistake that I will never forget.. lol