pilot bushing too tight?

Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Farmcub31
Zip Code: 74015

Re: pilot bushing too tight?

Postby Farmcub31 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:22 am

How were you able to hone the bushing inside the crank, what did you use to widen it a bit? I feel like I pushed the bushing a bit hard putting it in and now I may need to hone the inside a bit. It was a real tight fit going in.

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Fri May 29, 2015 10:29 am

I see people talking about the "clutch pilot tool" what is that? And would it help me on install to not mess up the face of the pilot bushing on install?

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 am

This tool is plastic and is made to help with the alignment of the clutch and pressure plate. It would not take much pounding.

Here is a picture for TM's site. Mine is a little different. It doesn't have the ring on the end.

http://www.tmtractor.com/new/cl/7932fp.htm
Ken, Annie the '48 Cub & Marie the '57 Loboy.

I think we gotter if'n she don't kick, Andy Griffith.

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:29 am

Okay thanks Ken. I actually purchased that from you. I also purchased a pilot bushing but man it was so tight going in I may have mushed it up a bit on install.... I am going to try and hone it a bit of I can but just don't know what people are using to hone there bushing. If that does not work I ordered another one from you yesterday and will have to put that in. I hope it does not fit as snug. May try the cold method next to to shrink it a bit.

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri May 29, 2015 12:42 pm

I am not associated with TM Tractor Parts but that's where I purchased my new bushing a tool. It should be a snug fit so it won't spin but not that tight.....put a little grease on it first.
Ken, Annie the '48 Cub & Marie the '57 Loboy.

I think we gotter if'n she don't kick, Andy Griffith.

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:53 pm

I see thanks Ken. So how are you guys installing this bushing with out tearing it up? Or how are you reaming it out once its in the tractor?

brewzalot
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 53105
Tractors Owned: '57 cub Loboy
'61 cub

Postby brewzalot » Sat May 30, 2015 1:35 am

Farmcub31 wrote:I see thanks Ken. So how are you guys installing this bushing with out tearing it up?

I made myself a stepped arbor on a lathe to tap mine in-perhaps a little over the top. You could use the old bushing to tap on/in the new one, a hardwood dowel, or anything that avoids marring/hammering directly on the edge of the new bushing. You should be able to tap directly on it with a soft face dead blow hammer.

Farmcub31 wrote:Or how are you reaming it out once its in the tractor?

I used a make shift "hone" by sawing a slit in the end of a 6-8" rod , about the length of the bushing. A steel or wood rod will work- it just needs to fit in your drill chuck. Insert the end of a strip of sandpaper(120-150 grit) in the slot and wrap it around the rod as much as needed to get close to the bushing ID size. The tighter you can wrap it the better. Chuck the other end in your drill ( you have to hold the paper tight until its in the bushing) and hone as much as necessary. Make sure your drill direction is correct (so the paper gets tighter as it spins.) This depends on which way it was wrapped around.

I would recommend getting the bushing close to size before putting it in (which it should be) and then finish as needed after installing it.
The bushing is fairly soft so make sure you check size often-it doesn't take much. Clean all abrasive material out when done and before lubricating.

hope this helps. tim

Farmcub31

Postby Farmcub31 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks so much Tim for the response I will give it a try. Has anyone cooled the bushing before install or heated the crank area before putting the bearing inside? Would that allow it to go in much better?